Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Your experiences with brewery steam boilers

Options
RayWohlfarth
RayWohlfarth Member Posts: 1,481
I will be teaching a class at the AHR at ASHRAE on Brewing with Steam. I would like to include common things you see in the field and common questions or mistakes. Thank you in advance for your expertise and input. Have a great weekend.
Ray Wohlfarth
Boiler Lessons

Comments

• jumper
    jumper Member Posts: 2,248
    Options
    Low pressure boiler is cheaper and doesn't require periodic testing. Gravity works better than pumps. If you use traps select them after you specify control.
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Options
    Many years ago, I was asked by a friend to look at a local craft brewers set up. This was in Fort Collins, and the company is now one of the largest craft brewers in the US. At the time, the owner, who had a mechanical engineers degree, had installed a residential steamer, connected to a used Campbells Soup steam kettle that was being used as the mash tun.

I noticed there were no vacuum breakers on the steam kettle, and warned him that it needed to be addressed sooner rather than later. He said it would NEVER be shut off or isolated, so not to worry.

I guess he forgot to relay this information to his employees, because they did close both isolation valves, and the mash tun ended up collapsing into itself... Lesson learned. Vacuum breakers are really cheap, compared to having to buy another mash tun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zz95_VvTxZM

ME
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
    RomanGK_26986764589
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,626
    Options
    The power of 14.7 psia air is impressive.
  • RayWohlfarth
    RayWohlfarth Member Posts: 1,481
    Options
    Thanks Jumper and Mark
    Mark I do love that video and use it in my training sessions. I have done research on condensate induced water hammer and it can reach pressures of 1500 psig
    Ray Wohlfarth
    Boiler Lessons