Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Concrete Floor Radiant Tubing Repair

Options
BigRob
BigRob Member Posts: 322
A friend of mine needs help repairing a sliced 1/2" PEX tube. He punctured it somehow while working on some tile. The tubes are embedded in a 1.5" thin slab. He's carefully removed enough concrete and will fill it back in when the repair is complete.

Are there any special considerations regarding the couplings and crimp rings when it comes to the repair tube layout? We have a couple sharkbite couplings and cinch crimp rings. The repair is in a straight section and we'll need to use two couplings due to the damage.

Thanks!

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    I'd be leery of using Sharkbites where they'll be inaccessible.

Wrap the fittings good with electrical tape to prevent the concrete from eating away at them.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
    BigRob
  • BigRob
    Options
    Hi Ironman, just to be clear, I don't mean the push type Sharkbite connecters. I have couplings that require crimp rings.

Let me know if there are better options.
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,432
    Options
    Is it Pex A or Pex B?... I would be more comfortable w/ the expansion type set up that Uponor (Wirsbo) has.
    delta TSWEI
  • BigRob
    Options
    It's Pex A
  • BigRob
    edited December 2016
    Options
    My friend just said the floor uses Pex A, but he has a piece of Nibco tubing for the repair. I read conflicting reports on what type of PEX the Nibco is. More evidence for PEX C, though.
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    Pex A is expandable. If you have the expander tool and fittings, that's a much better system.
    Pex B is NOT expandable.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,656
    Options
    I use the Viega press couplings for PureFlow pex. They work on all standard Pex A pipe and even are available in 5/16" for Climate Panel or Quick Trak tubing.