Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Toe kick diverter

Options
Ok, first problem with diverter tees. I've got a 1" baseboard loop. Cut a reg. Tee first, followed with 18" of pipe, followed by diverter tee (supply side). 5' of pitched copper to the toe kick above the floor. Filled it, purged it and it got hot. Now... it doesn't. I know I should have put 2 tees in, but I wanted to try one.

Comments

• Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    Options
    What does the system have in the way of air removal? Is it possible that air has worked its way back to toe-kick?
  • Tonypositive
    Tonypositive Member Posts: 14
    Options
    Nothing, but I purged again. I got a bit more air, and then COOL water, and the 1" main is smoking
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,524
    Options
    The farther apart your two tees are (supply and return) the better. If the tees are only 18" apart you may need to spread them out to get more pressure drop.

Also, you said "reg tee 18" of pipe followed by the diverter tee (supply side). The diverter tee branch should be connected to the toe kick return
  • Harvey Ramer
    Harvey Ramer Member Posts: 2,239
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Did you use a diverter tee or a monoflow tee?

I should clarify since both terms get used for each. Does the tee have a scoop in it or does it have a cone shaped restricter?
  • Tonypositive
    edited December 2016
    Options
    No cone. Not the ones I've used in the past.. if I remember, we always used two, and faced them towards each other
  • Tonypositive
    Options
    I did put it on the return.
  • Tonypositive
    Options
    I thought if you fed up (radiators above) you only needed 12"
  • Harvey Ramer
    Options
    So it's a scoop style like a legend t-570?
    I can definitely see that not working on the return. They don't have the venturi effect like the tees with the cone shaped restricters. The scoop style tee should be used on the supply.
  • Tonypositive
    Options
    I'm going back tomorrow to replace the regular tee with another. Should I face them towards one another, like the old come style?
  • Harvey Ramer
    Options
    Depends what kind of tee you are using. Can you give us a make and model?
  • Tonypositive
    Options
    Of course... Taiwan
  • Tonypositive
    Options
    Of course... Taiwan
  • Harvey Ramer
    Options
    With those tees, the tee on the supply pipe of the toe kick should have the scoop facing into the direction of flow in the main. The tee on the return of the toe kick probably won't do much, but the scoop should be faced away from the flow in the main.
  • Tonypositive
    Options
    I have the arrow with flow on the return as of now. So the water will get directed up.. i'm gathering I should have put that on the supply.
    It's been 20 years since I've used monoflows
  • Bob Bona_4
    Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
    Options
    Harvey's right. I made the same mistake yrs ago when I started getting the scoop style. Wasn't really thinking and put it on return. Ng. Was at Joe Pantoliano's house for toe kicks in kitchen reno. I didn't want my head in a bowling ball bag like Ralph's ended up ;) Before that I always used cones. Put the scoop on supply side, scooping up some flow to rad. You shouldn't need anything but a regular T on return.
  • Harvey Ramer
    Options
    If the tee you have installed has the arrow on the body, or run, pointed the same direction as the flow in the main, you have to take it out and either turn it around or use a regular tee. Otherwise you still won't get any flow even with a tee properly installed on the supply.
  • Tonypositive
    Options
    Thanks for your help.. I really looked at these tees. It's pretty obvious.. I should have looked before just throwing it on the return. I was supposed to have help yesterday and also needed to run a new gas line (blk pipe), rough a kitchen sink.. I was moving too fast, and wasn't thinking clearly