Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Baseboard Heating Question - 2nd Floor - One Section Heating/ One Section Not Heating

dsims
dsims Member Posts: 1
Hi all,

I have searched the internet & these messages boards for a solution to our problem, but couldn't really find what I am looking for. Any help would be appreciated as we are four college students wondering if it is a quick solution or the need for a repairman for a more extensive fix. So we have a baseboard system with three zones I believe from my reading as we have a thermostat in the Basement/1st F/2nd F. I previously bled all the base board sections with little issues except one upstairs would let out air initially then only like two drops of water each time I would bleed it(unlike a stream of water in the case of the other sections). So my question is do I need to add water to that section if thats possible, or what could be the issue? Thanks in advance, and any questions you may have let me know!

Comments

• gschallert
    gschallert Member Posts: 170
    I've had airlocked baseboards before but usually bleeding it while making sure there was enough pressure in the zone to push the air out worked. You say you're college students, is this a rental property or do you own it? If you have a landlord I'd punt the issue to them as mechanical heating issues should be their responsibility.

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,170
    If it let air out at first, but then only a few drops of water, there probably isn't enough static pressure in the system. If you are tenants, this is -- at @gschallert said -- the landlord,s problem, and he is obliged to fix it for you (in most jurisdictions, at least). On the other hand, if you have access to the boiler, see if you can find a pressure gauge on it and tell us what it reads.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    Are there other heaters on the same floor as the one that only drips? If so and those give a good stream of water you may have enough pressure.
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    You may have zone valves and flow checks on the other end of the loop. Without the zone valve open (thermostat turned up) you won't have any flow to purge/bleed. Can you post a picture of the boiler and near piping including pumps and valves.

Taylor
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!