Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

One pipe steam thermostat recommendation

Options
Can someone recommend a programmable thermostat for a one pipe steam heating system in a two-family home? There are people in the house throughout the day and the thermostat is located on the first floor. Since I need to keep the heat at 70 degrees from 7am to 11pm and at 65 degrees from 11:01pm to 6:59am, I would solely like the thermostat to be programmed at those two different temperatures during the aforementioned timeframes.
I have a manual thermostat now for a 90,000 BTU boiler, but I cannot go in and out of my tenants house each morning/night to turn the temperature up and down. I see all of the different thermostats and while there are great options with apps, etc., I really just need it to do something very simple without any intervention from me.

Comments

• JeffM
    JeffM Member Posts: 182
    Options
    I've got a Honeywell TH2110 (Pro 2000) and like it. Simple to program, can be wired or run on batteries. Fairly small and unobtrusive.
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Many of us would suggest the max setback on a steam system should be no more than about 3 degrees. With a 5 degree setback, it will probably take up to 2 hours to bring the house back up to temp. Even a 3 degree set-back will take an hour or so. if your boiler is even modestly over-sized to the amount of connected radiation, it will short cycle (build pressure and be shut down by the Pressuretrol) multiple times during a heating cycle that long.
    Look for any Thermostat that is designed for Steam and has "1" cycle per hour as a program option. Honeywell has several models available.
    SWEILionA29Paul S_3RomanGK_26986764589
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    Options
    A Honeywell VisionPro, can use a remote sensor, which can be mounted where the present thermostat is now, using only 2 wires. Mount the VisionPro on the boiler, and you can control it from there.
    It is steam compatible, and can do setbacks, (keep them small), or hold a constant lower temperature, 67 degrees (preferable).--NBC
    ratio
  • LionA29
    LionA29 Member Posts: 255
    Options
    How does the CPH works when satisfying or maintaining the temperature on the thermostat?
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,284
    Options
    LionA29 said:

How does the CPH works when satisfying or maintaining the temperature on the thermostat?

In somewhat the same way as the old anticipators did -- it controls how much before reaching the set point the thermostat will turn off. In the case of a cph setting, it's doing it based on time. It also helps to account for how long it takes the system to cool down -- again, based on time. The whole idea is to avoid overshooting the set point.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    LionA29
  • LionA29
    LionA29 Member Posts: 255
    Options
    Thanks @Jamie Hall