Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Reccomendations: Brand Pex-al-pex & manifold for Panel Rad install

Options
Fred Rappuhn
Fred Rappuhn Member Posts: 107
edited October 2016 in THE MAIN WALL
I plan on eliminating some fintube and install some Buderus panel rad's with pex-al-pex, ran as home runs off from a manifold. I presently have 4 zone valves controlling the system, can I also have these zone valves serve the manifolds?

Looking for recommendations of a brand pex that has ez to use connectors and a brand of manifolds to use. I have already done a Slant fin heat loss and 1/2 pex will supply the load I need. Thoughts, please.

Comments

• Paul S_3
    Paul S_3 Member Posts: 1,261
    Options
    I like the Viega Fostapex
    ASM Mechanical Company
    Located in Staten Island NY
    Servicing all 5 boroughs of NYC.
    347-692-4777
    ASMMECHANICALCORP@GMAIL.COM
    ASMHVACNYC.COM
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/asm-mechanical-company
    Bob Bona_4
  • Leon82
    Leon82 Member Posts: 684
    Options
    What does the local plumbing store sell?

The plumbing store near me sells Apollo clamping system as well as Lowes.

The plumbing place sells slant fin pex while Lowes sells Apollo or another brand.

Both sell the Apollo crimp tool. I would not use the sharkbite style because it is probably cheaper to use copper after you spend the money for the fittings.

If you can plan your layout you can get it from supplyhouse.com. some may have a proprietary locking system, think upnor may be this way.
  • Paul S_3
    Paul S_3 Member Posts: 1,261
    Options
    I like the Viega Fostapex
    ASM Mechanical Company
    Located in Staten Island NY
    Servicing all 5 boroughs of NYC.
    347-692-4777
    ASMMECHANICALCORP@GMAIL.COM
    ASMHVACNYC.COM
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/asm-mechanical-company
    Bob Bona_4
  • Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    Options
    Lots of good product out there. Viega FostaPex like Paul mentioned. Uponor Multi-Cor, Watts Radiant PAP.

I'm not comfortable using anything but Pex-Al-Pex for home runs in higher temp applications. Many local codes require it too. Some guys, I know, are ok with just Pex.
    Steve Minnich
    Bob Bona_4
  • Fred Rappuhn
    Options
    Thanks for input, I do not have a local warehouse, just big box stores, I was planning on making purchases through, supplyhouse.com
    Bob Bona_4
  • Tinman
    Options
    1/2" Uponor MLC will cover individual radiators up to about 15,000 BTU/h. I've been using it since it came out. Never a problem.
    Steve Minnich
    Bob Bona_4
  • Fred Rappuhn
    Options
    My largest load on any 1 rad is under 8,000 btu, so 1/2 was in the plan.
    Bob Bona_4
  • Bob Bona_4
    Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
    Options
    Agreed, 1/2 Fostapex is a great choice and the crimp tool is relatively affordable. Get a bunch of 90s, for those really difficult bends.
    BoonFred Rappuhn
  • Fred Rappuhn
    Options
    When it comes to manifolds I am lost!!! So many choices, An 8 branch would serve my largest zone, recommendations???
  • Tinman
    Options
    Why the dislike for my post above? Something against Uponor? Inadvertent hit?
    Steve Minnich
  • Brian Chilton_2
    Brian Chilton_2 Member Posts: 18
    Options
    As a landlord, we have used thousand's of feet of Viega Fostapex. We love it. We use it for potable hot , potable cold and heating applications. This is because we think its a better product than regular pex for potable(UV degradation, and stiffness for when we pull in wall and cannot support as much as we'd like) and because we only stock 2 products : 1/2 and 3/4 fostapex.

I have used it since Viega was in Bedford, Ma, which I think was 1997 ish....

I even have the original tools which were smaller(and did not have the same linkage for leverage) then the current ones, I keep the original 1/2" tool in my "jack of all trades" tool bag but have never used it....which means we never did an emergency repair on any viega pex that we installed.
    Bob Bona_4Fred Rappuhn
  • Leon82
    Options
    If the manufacturer of the pex you use also makes manifolds, I would use their manifold also
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    edited November 2016
    Options

Why the dislike for my post above? Something against Uponor? Inadvertent hit?

@Stephen Minnich I don't think that's a "Dislike" For some reason the "Thanks" button changed to "Dislike" and all Thank you's to Dislikes. I sent @Erin Holohan Haskell a message. I'm sure she will get it resolved.
    Tinman
  • Leon82
    Options
    If you click it again it will take it off, at least on my phone it does. Have accidentally swiped a few while scrolling
  • Erin Holohan Haskell
    Erin Holohan Haskell Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,287
    Options
    Thanks for the heads up on the Dislike/Thank button. Our developers at Vanilla re-purposed the Dislike button to create a Thanks button for us. A recent update may have messed with the settings. I've disabled it for now and will look into it.
    President
    HeatingHelp.com