Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Abandoned Power Plant

Options
PinkTavo
PinkTavo Member Posts: 64
edited October 2016 in THE MAIN WALL
Not sure where to put this, so posted on the Main Wall. Having fun trying to identify equipment.

http://www.abandonedamerica.us/portside-power-plant
Turbo DaveErin Holohan HaskellChrisJGordyBob Bona_4wyo

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    Options
    Weird that it's both beautiful and sad (to me).

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Solid_Fuel_ManBob Bona_4
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    Options
    Completely agree @STEVEusaPA. We have an abandoned nuclear air force base which was closed in 1994, favorite place to explore when I was younger. Nothe much left now.

Industrial buildings all have a realistic life, and now inefficient and outdated, decay seems to always prevail.

Taylor
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
    STEVEusaPABob Bona_4
  • Robert_25
    Robert_25 Member Posts: 527
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. Reminds me of the Huber and St. Nicholas breakers in the coal region of PA.

STEVEusaPABob Bona_4
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    Options
    Had lots of family work at GE and Westinghouse. Used to love as a kid open house when we got to walk through and tour-giant Goliath sized machinery.
    There also used to be a locomotive repair factory (already closed in 1970), that we used to go play/explore. Turntable outside.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Solid_Fuel_ManBob Bona_4
  • Bob Bona_4
    Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
    Options
    These places are fascinating. There's a local mental hospital here in CT, I was lucky to get a tour of the powerhouse when it was functioning still, in the early 90s. It's been closed and fenced off for the last 20 years. Really, really scary the asbestos that's hanging down like curtains off everything now.
  • Steam
    Steam Member Posts: 45
    Options
    Is that your site? Have you been inside this plant? So many things to identify. There is a nice older style high board where they conducted electrical switching from. Also paralelled the turbine generators to the electrical bus from there. The thing on the pedestal could be an alarm panel / status indicator panel.

The large things you see under the turbines, and also the picture that has no turbine over it are the condensers. To the left are the main condensate pumps.

The picture of the set of three fans are forced draft and induced draft fans. Two are ID, and looks like one FD, as the FD draws air from the surrounding space. The ID fans pull exhaust out of the boiler, passed the air-preheater or economizer or combination of the two if they were installed. Look below the ID fans to see if there is an aph and economizer installed.

There are also some breaker compartments there, these might be air operated (looks really old) so you would have probably seen some air compressors or remnants of them in the electrical galleries.

The horn might be operated by compressed air, and was used for letting individuals know if there was trouble in the plant.

There is also the coal conveyors, and coal house that conveyed the coal to the bunkers. That house was probably used to haul ash away to a barge as well. You should see tracks and maybe ash cars still there in the basement.

I would deffinetely be down to tour the plant and offer some insight to how things operated, and also identify various pieces of equipment.....that is depending on where in the US this is.
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    edited October 2016
    Options
    When I started my career, I worked for a local company that employed 28,000 people locally, mostly manufacturing, foundry, plating, finished retail point of sale products. We had 33 buildings, on campus and all of them were heated by a company owned steam plant. Virtually all of the buildings were connected by underground pedestrian tunnels that also housed all the steam pipes to each building. All buildings are gone now but there are sections of tunnel still existing, especially those that crossed under main streets and under sidewalks. They were sealed at each end before the buildings were torn down.
  • PinkTavo
    PinkTavo Member Posts: 64
    Options
    Steam...no, this is from a website my Cousin regularly copies me on FaceBook that documents "Abandoned America". Typically they just have buildings, this is the first one I have seen that has equipment; though there may be more in their archive. They usually don't disclose the exact location of the buildings.
  • Steam
    Steam Member Posts: 45
    Options
    PinkTavo said:

Steam...no, this is from a website my Cousin regularly copies me on FaceBook that documents "Abandoned America". Typically they just have buildings, this is the first one I have seen that has equipment; though there may be more in their archive. They usually don't disclose the exact location of the buildings.

Shame, would be an awesome place to tour. I might have an idea of it's location, but could be wrong. If you get anymore info about the place, or have questions about equipment you can PM me. Thanks