Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Taco X Block Setup HELP!!!!!

I just installed the taco X block, I'm looking for some help on the setup. I have a 700 square foot home and it's not heating it. The supply temperature is around 103 f. When I put it in manually override the supply temperature reaches around 145/150 so I know it is capable of heating the house. The variable speed pump never seems to run. I'm sure this will work if all the settings are set right. I'm using the outside air sensor the supply sensor and the boiler return sensor. Please help!!!!!!! My wife is yelling about the $2000 I spent on a heating system that doesn't work!!!!! HELP!!!!!

Comments

• Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    What is your boiler supply temp?

Can you post a pic of how it's piped and where you located the supply (to radiant) sensor? What is the target and is it reaching target temp?

What is your reset curve set to?

Taylor
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
    clmillard97
  • clmillard97
    clmillard97 Member Posts: 9
    I really don't know much about the settings. I will post a better pic in a second.
  • clmillard97
    Current set up.
  • clmillard97
    Boiler supply temp is around 140.
  • Harvey Ramer
    Harvey Ramer Member Posts: 2,239
    What is the boiler return temp set to? Or is it an on off setting?
    clmillard97
  • clmillard97
    Mix DSGN 145
    Mix MAX 160
    Mix MIN OFF
    Boiler MIN 140
    WWSD 70

Also the little on/off switch is off right now.
  • clmillard97
    I just turned the boiler min to off. And the mix min to 130.
  • Harvey Ramer
    Harvey Ramer Member Posts: 2,239
    You can let the boiler min off UNLESS you start seeing condensate pooling in the bottom of the heater. If the boiler min is adjustable I would set it to 130 or 125.

To determine the mix min we will have to know what type of heat emitters you have.

Have you programmed the outdoor reset curve?

Have you done a heat load on the space.

Have you calculated the btu capacity for your emitters and adjusted the Mix DSGN to meet the building's heat load?
    clmillard97
  • clmillard97
    I have baseboard heaters.
    I'm using a Bradford White water heater.
    I'm not sure how to do the load calculation on a home.

I set the outside curve to 10.
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    With fin tube baseboard you will not see much heat output below 140F.

You do not need a boiler min, is this running all baseboard? Used the X-bloc so you could use a water heater?

Taylor
    clmillard97
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Also, is it standard copper tube with aluminum fin baseboard or cast iron?

Taylor
    clmillard97
  • clmillard97
    Yes they are copper and aluminum fin. Yes I wanted to use my water heater to heat the house and the water.
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    It will not work well unless you set the water heater to a much higher temp. You will need an asse 1017 rated anti-scald valve at the water heater to mix down to 120F domestic hot water as well.

Taylor
    clmillard97
  • Leon82
    Leon82 Member Posts: 684
    I have fin tube and use 115 as my swt. Under that it was inconsistent and less comfortable. Below 35 degrees it climbs with the odr curve
    clmillard97
  • clmillard97
    I am using a Honeywell tempering valve at the water heater to bring 120 to the house. I don't have a temp reading on the heating supply side of the water heater but I think right now it's around 140 ish. After playing around with the settings all day, I think I have it figured out. The main problem was the boiler min. After changing that to off the variable speed pump started working. I put the mixing target to 145, the max to 160 and the mixing min to 135.

I am very pleased with the installation and performance of the Taco X Block. What I don't like is the lack of information on how to program/configure all the settings.

Thank you for all the help!

I think I'm out of the doghouse.