Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Monitor boiler

347 Member Posts: 143
Hello all,
Came across this boiler today which I'm told is a Monitor MZ 225c. It is shot cycling (on/off) every minute or so.
The customer needs to reset the boiler every time he wants heat. It looks like he presses a reset button on flue pipe which I think is a limit switch.
I could not find any manual on the job or online for any help.
I attached (I hope) some pictures of the boiler and heater it is connected to. It's a single zone system with the indirect. I think it needs some additional piping but I'm not sure. Any help would be great.
Thanks.

Tor

Comments

• ch4man
    ch4man Member Posts: 296
    wow, i thought i was the only one to ever see one of those.

French made POS. if it is the flue gas limit thats tripping its scaled up inside and out. I loved how the honeywell ignition control is a single try for ignition. one misfire and its locked out- no heat

good luck
    Thanks for the responce. Do you have any idea where to get a piping diagram or manual? I can access anything on line and have no clue who the local rep is.
  • Dan Foley
    Dan Foley Member Posts: 1,258
    MZ has been out of business for several years. I put in 50+ of these. I still have a few parts. I also have all of the service manuals. Send me you e-mail address.

@ch4man I second your opinion on the Honeywell module with one try for ignition.
    Rich_49
    Dan, I think I sent you a pm, just not sure if it went through.
  • Dan Foley
    Dan Foley Member Posts: 1,258
    @347 Got it. Coming your way.
    Rich_49
  • Here are my notes on where to find parts for Monitor boilers, but they are from 2012 and they may no longer be available.

6/13/12 Spoke to Rob Kushner (oilman501@aol.com) and ordered parts for Pietkiewicz
    Here is the place
    They are really good.
    Ask for Bob.
    http://www.budnyfuel.com/
    Trenton, NJ

1/23/12
    monitor parts
    you might want to contact : Nelson & Small on canco rd. in portland, me. / they are, or at least were the northern new england distributor for monitor & toyo stoves..water heaters ..etc.. / may still have parts for your need../ good luck..

For parts: Northern Heating in Wasilla Alaska has a fair parts selection. 907-376-7515

Home office: (309)361-9353

x1 - Sales
    x2 - Tech. support (Nick Russo)
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
    Dan, got it Thank you. ALan thanks for that info. Does any one know what that small rubber hose hanging is or goes to, I could not see it in the parts breakdown Dan sent.
  • Looks like it's attached to the auto air vent.

• kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,418
    1/23/12
    monitor parts
    you might want to contact : Nelson & Small on canco rd. in portland, me. / they are, or at least were the northern new england distributor for monitor & toyo stoves..water heaters ..etc.. / may still have parts for your need../ good luck..

FWIW... Nelson and Small folded up shop and couple years ago.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,019
    the short cycling could be related to a flow issue. Did you check the onboard pump? What type of distribution piping? Non barrier tube by chance? Could it be sludged up?

It was't a bad boiler for early condensing day. Certainly more dependable than some of the early Munches.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Also, check that big brass strainer connected to the expansion tank by the braided hose. I've seen those clog up.