Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Its Heat Season in NYC... Apartment farthest from boiler still cold!

Hello All,

I've been on and off this forum for a year now with the same issue, my parents own a 6 family (3 story) apartment building. I live on the third floor in the rear, they live on the second floor in the front. This morning the heat was on and I checked their thermostat temp with the temp in my apartment and it was 1-2 degrees off. The apartment across the hall from me (above my parents) was 10 degrees off! We recently redid the boiler hot water coil (was leaking) and replaced all the main vents. In the Cold apartment we replaced all the radiator valves (which were leaking) and added new D vents in order to get the air out as fast as possible and get the heat to that apartment as quickly as possible. In my parents apartment (the thermostat is in their bedroom which has no radiator only a stand pipe) we've added (C) vents and in the first floor we've added (C) vents as well. There has been no issue with hot water. I have not had any complaints so far but still can't figure out why the third floor farthest from the boiler does not get heat. Any help would be great.

Thanks in advance,

John

Comments

• KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,737
    How long and what size are the mains? How much main venting do you have? This is usually a venting issue. Did you have the correct nozzle put in your boiler? Did you turn the pressure down? I read through your other post so curious if you undid those "fixes".

Have you thought about calling in someone that actually knows steam?
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • daghstdrummer
    daghstdrummer Member Posts: 10
    Thank you for the responses, its just confusing as he** for me since all of the apartments seem to be good, and its just this one. The other thing we will be doing is re-insulating the windows in apartment. Its just tough to figure out why the problem is since now all the apartments are heated evenly except this one.

@KC_Jones Yes I have undone all those fixes all of the apartments are now evenly heated except this particular one. Still no clue why.
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,375
    Vent the riser like Hatt suggested.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • daghstdrummer
    daghstdrummer Member Posts: 10
    @Hatterasguy how do I set up the Gorton 1 Vent on the Radiator?
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,669
    @Hatterasguy From what I recall a Gorton D is the same speed as a #1. Perhaps a Gorton D with straight 1/8" connection would be an easier bet?

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Danny Scully
    Danny Scully Member Posts: 1,424
    You are correct @ChrisJ, same venting capacity.
  • Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    Slow down the venting in the hot apartments, they are sucking steam away from the cold ones. Steam condenses there and creates a vacuum before the steam has arrived at the cold apartments' radiators.