Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Setting thermostat that's next to big radiator

Thomsa
Thomsa Member Posts: 7
I'm in a four-story brownstone with a single thermostat that's right next to a big radiator in a hallway. Other rooms tend to get quite cold before the hallway does and the thermostat notices.
Any advice how to deal with this? Should I set the swing on the thermostat very low?

Comments

• Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Consider moving the thermostat to a location that is more representative of the general temps in the house or replace that thermostat with one that has a couple remote sensors that you can locate in other areas of the house. That technology will "average" the temps to determine when to call for heat.
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,476
    In the mid 70's i was living in an apartment that had a similar problem, the steam heat worked fine but there were wide swings in the temperature. After a while I realized the thermostat was mounted on a wall that had the landlords steam pipe running right behind that thermostat.

Moving that thermostat around the corner to a different wall solved the problem and allit cost was little wire.

Bob,
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,615
    Many newer electronic thermostats can operate from a wireless temperature sensor, alleviating the need to rewire.
  • Thomsa
    I'm renting so unfortunately i can't move or replace the thermostat. Only reprogram it…
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,160
    Assuming that you can't turn the radiator down... but not off... about the only thing you can do is to turn the thermostat setting up, which will make the hall into a sauna but might make the rest of the spaces comfortable.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    You could also put a radiator cover or even a blanket over the radiator to reduce it's ability to radiate heat.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,160

Thomsa said:

I'm in a four-story brownstone with a single thermostat that's right next to a big radiator in a hallway. Other rooms tend to get quite cold before the hallway does and the thermostat notices.

Any advice how to deal with this? Should I set the swing on the thermostat very low?

If the big radiator has a functioning radiator valve, turn the valve fully clockwise. The radiator will deliver no heat but the hallway will still manage a reasonable temperature. You may need to turn the 'stat down a couple of degrees, depending on how big the hallway is and whether it has any outside walls.
    That will work, with two provisions: first, that the valve really does work and really turns off and, more important, that we are dealing with two pipe steam. The OP didn't say. If it's two pipe, OK. If it's one pipe, and the valve leaks even a little bit, there will be problems and I can't recommend it.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Thomsa
    It's a hot water system and I'm not sure whether one-pipe or two-pipe. There are valves on all radiators which makes me think that it's a two-pipe system. Can I confirm this by turning one off completely and seeing if the other ones still work?
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    How about a picture of the offending radiator? Include both ends and anything that looks like a small vent of some sort.
    Jean-David Beyer