Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Electric baseboard or boiler

Options
newf
newf Member Posts: 3
edited October 2016 in THE MAIN WALL
I just bought a new home that has an oil fired hot water boiler. I want to convert to electric for a number of reasons. I'm considering converting the existing system to an electric boiler, the other option is removing the existing baseboard units and installing electric baseboard heaters. Any thoughts?

Comments

• SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    edited October 2016
    Options
    If electric resistance heat makes economic sense there (and that is a rather big if) you are generally far better off installing an electric boiler. Install an an air source hydronic heat pump and you would cut your bills by 2/3rds in most climates.

Where is the house located?
    Solid_Fuel_Mannewf
  • newf
    Options
    In St. John's Newfoundland.
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    edited October 2016
    Options
    What @SWEI said. When the tech improves you can get an air to water heat pump to go.with your electric resistance boiler.

The Canadians all have cheap electricity!

I was in Newfoundland back in the mid 1990s and there I saw my first and only Electric resistance forced hot air furnace......

Taylor
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
  • newf
    Options
    A few people here have forced air electric. I think oil heat is still cheaper here, but it's worth it for me to not have to worry about replacing the tank or running out of fuel.
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Options
    Keep the water-based distribution system and you maximize your options for the future. Electric, gas, oil, solar, and even biomass can work with it.

Not sure if they have distribution in Canada, but http://www.chiltrix.com/ is worth a look. Impressive performance at low temps, but you'll still need electric resistance for the really cold days up your way.