Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Rinnai R53 Intermittant flame lighting failure Code 12

Options
dbader
dbader Member Posts: 2
Our Rinnai tankless hot water heater is about 8 years old. Intermittently when hot water is turned on, flame fails to light. Exhausts seem clear, propane flow ok, fan on, but sometimes no flame - therefore no hot water. Next time we turn on hot water all functions normally. So far once flame is on, it does not kick out. Code 12 seems to be occurring more frequently. Help.

Comments

• lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    Options
    Has the unit been serviced? How do you know the propane flow's ok? (then again, what's ok?) could be it needs a cleaning..could need an igniter lead..could need a number of things....
  • dbader
    dbader Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Propane isn't dedicated to tankless heater. Rinmai unit is the 1st of 3 items being fed by propane. There are 2 Propane heaters further "downstream" that are having no issues. Will start by cleaning igniter. Since the unit stays on once the flame is on, this seems like a good starting point.
  • mrgem
    mrgem Member Posts: 10
    Options
    My 7-y/o R53 does exactly the same thing. Original installation was a Takagi -- which gave me zero problems. Plumber talked me into switching to Rinnai when we had to replace the Takagi because of a flood (long story).

Several other appliances drawing propane from the same tank and zero problems with those. Only the R53 experiencing intermittent lighting problems. Lights fine with the kitchen sink running and other hot water appliances -- but gets a code 12 every time my wife goes to fill her 80-gallon Jacqquzi tub.

Should say that even though the R53 is 7-years old, it is in a vacation home that gets used perhaps 12-14 times a year and then 2 people and only for 24-hour visits. Water is from a well -- that is to say kinda hard and the unit -- because it is rarely used has never been serviced. What do you all think - Gas-valve? Scaley HX? Flame sensor rod?

Should add that the house is in the boonies -- and getting a plumbing pro out there is EXTREMELY expensive, so I'd like to have the troubleshooting done as well as I can before I have another $400 service call.

Thanks for any advice you can give me.