Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Repair options for a Peerless EC/ECT Steam Boiler front section tapping

Options
This cast iron boiler has several tappings in the front section including two reinforced tappings that allow for the installation of the glass tube and a McDonnell & Miller 47/2 automatic water feeder/low water cut off. There are two brass fittings that screw into the two tappings that support the glass tube and the feeder. The bottom brass fitting broke off, leaving the threaded portion in the boiler section. In removing the broken section of the fitting, the threaded reinforcement for that tapping broke apart and broke away from the section. Now, there is nothing to screw a brass fitting into. What are my options for repairing this situation? Can a threaded reinforcement be obtained and attached/'welded' back to the face of the cast iron section sufficiently to support the weight of the attachments without leaking? If not, short of an expensive replacement section, is there a way to seal the existing hole and re-install the glass tube and the water feeder elsewhere on this boiler? This boiler has been in service for 10 years and has performed flawlessly. What are the chances of successfully separating the front section from the rest of the boiler?
Many thanks to the Wall for any suggestions that may be shared.

Comments

• KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,737
    Options
    Pictures of what you have going on would help tremendously.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • eoverton
    eoverton Member Posts: 4
    Options
    Photos of my predicament.

Can the remaining threads in the tapping be chased with a die so that the brass fitting will screw-in, without further damaging the tapping? Also, are there methods for reinforcing the tapping to help support the weight of a M & M 47/2 water feeder/LWC?

Thanks for your suggestions & advice.

• nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    Options
    What is the wall thickness without the reinforcing boss?
    Can you mount the LWCO elsewhere on the boiler, and just have the sightglass in its original spot?--NBC
  • eoverton
    Options
    I estimate the wall thickness to be 1/8th inch or less. Maybe could install a probe type water feeder/lwc elsewhere but not sure.
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    If you can get someone that knows how to weld cast iron, I would think you could have a Thread-o-let welded over that opening.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,519
    Options
    try running a 1/2" pipe tap in to clean out the threads. If you can get a nipple and dope it up good with Teflon tape & your favorite pipe dope it may hold. the other possibility is to drill it out and tap it 3/4" pipe size.

I would not weld a pressure vessel especially cast iron. Or change the section
  • eoverton
    Options
    After cleaning the threads, Would using high temperature epoxy to hold a threaded nipple in place, be worth a try?
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,477
    Options
    If you get the right epoxy it could help. I've used some that are good to over 600 degrees but once they are on getting anything apart is not easy.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • New England SteamWorks
    New England SteamWorks Member Posts: 1,505
    Options
    I have had good luck with epoxy on cast iron radiators when welding attempts completely failed. Definitely worth a try and easiest first option. If it doesn't work you can just hit it with a heat gun or torch and melt it back out, then move along to plan B which would be to drill it out and tap for 3/4" I should think.
    New England SteamWorks
    Service, Installation, & Restoration of Steam Heating Systems
    newenglandsteamworks.com