Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Converting steam radiator to hot water

Options
HeatingHelp
HeatingHelp Administrator Posts: 637
edited September 2016 in THE MAIN WALL
Converting steam radiator to hot water

Read the full story here

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Great article . As a familially enslaved youth in the heating buiness we were replacing an ill-fated,old, oil fired steam boiler in a beautiful historic church within walking distance of the Holland tunnel in Jersey City , N.J. Did you know that Mr. Holland invented the submarine and 'sailed' the first ones on the Passaic river ?
    The pastor of St. Lucy's, father Morel was a great guy, very appreciative of the hard work and high quality field design for which my father was underappreciated by the layman . The good father requested us to remove two disconnected radiators sitting in the vestibule. Isn't it hilarious how the average customer assumes that radiators sprout legs and walk themselves on to the truck on command ? At any rate, these radiators were beautiful . Original, unvented, 'candlestick' radiators, as we used to refer to them. We kept them in our basement for years with the thought of integrating them into a never fulfilled dream of a fancy heat system renovation of the homestead. But it never left me, that their fancy scroll work and unique design, let alone their part in the mechanical/heating history of our nation, right there in the shadow of Liberty island, Ellis Island, the Empire State building and a short walk to the mouth of the Holland Tunnel would be discounted, discarded and banished to the scrap heep without a thought...And the vestibule left void of those two weighty chunks of history as much a part of that old church as the steeple . My dad said that they were the oldest radiators we'd most likely ever see.......
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    Options
    Dan, it truly warms my heart to know that I am not the only one who looks at the radiators on historic tours. And the fact that it annoys my wife when I talk about them and wish I too could see what the prime-movers are of those now historic heating master pieces.

The metal roofing screws in that radiator is a crying shame! Nothing more to say....

Taylor
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!