Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Honeywell L8148a fail,considering Hydrolevel 3250 plus

wrooper
wrooper Member Posts: 58
Hi all,
I have read posts [here and elsewhere] about the L8148a control failing when the solder cracks or contacts corrode . I believe this is exactly what happened to me this morning when the boiler operated to temp and the remote HW circulator was running but the main circulator was not. I disconnected the 120V at the main circulator and "hot wired" a separate circuit outside the control and my main circulator ran,producing hot water [and normal radiation][I do have a bypass that feeds my HW heat exchanger so no worries about damaging main circulator by running it 24/7 until I get the 8148 replaced]

My 8148 is so poorly located that it will be a PITA to "dewire" it to allow me to investigate further/do some soldering.It doesn't help that it is wired on a 20A circuit with 12Ga wire.

I am considering replacing the 8148 with a Hydrolevel 3250 plus and adding a remote mounting kit for future ease of service and perhaps get some oil savings from their thermal logic [indoor reset based on firing times,as I understand it]

Does anyone believe I will get some savings? Any experience with Hydrolevel reliability? Is the Hydrolevel compatible with my boiler/zone valve controller?

My system was built/designed by me to approximate a System 2000 [without their logic board and prices]

LAARS D-MAX steel low volume boiler,direct vented with Beckett gun
TACO ZVC406 and TACO zone valves
Remote HW tank with flat plate heat exchanger,operated by bronze circulator
TACO mixing valves feeding radiant floors and towel bars on first floor
Baseboards on second floor

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,540
    The Hydrolevel control is fine. I'd consider the Beckett AquaSmart also
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    I would never try to solder/fix an operating/safety control. You assume all liability, and if you end up with a run away control that burns down your house...yikes!
    steve
    wrooperIronmanHVACNUT
  • wrooper

I would never try to solder/fix an operating/safety control. You assume all liability, and if you end up with a run away control that burns down your house...yikes!

Burn down your house, not so much. Leave a big water mess certainly.

Otoh considering the original soldering was likely done in China I would regard my own soldering as more reliable

• HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    Took you 2 years to think of a dim retort?
    CTOilHeat
  • wrooper
    Ha ! I was searching for another topic and happened to see the comment on my old post. Dim? the other poster [and perhaps yourself] didn't understand what an aquastat does/what my failure was
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    situation.
    wrooper said:

Burn down your house, not so much. Leave a big water mess certainly.

Otoh considering the original soldering was likely done in China I would regard my own soldering as more reliable

You could burn down your house with a run-away boiler.

steve
    Ironman