Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

More news on "The Most Expensive Zone Valve Ever.."

JUGHNE
JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
edited October 2016 in THE MAIN WALL
While looking for zone valves hiding in an attic of the to be re-commissioned nursing home, the first 2 I came across were these. The one really stands out, having never seen one like it some internet search educated me. The one with the handle I now realize is a removal tool, the motor MV110s805 head was laying next to it. The other standard HW is brand new with factory pigtails never connected.

This has been there for at least 2 years as previous maint man said the T-stat did control the heat for those 2 zones.
Is there any reason someone would leave a $800.00 tool in place??

This carcass was laying next to the new install. I have only located 3 of the 7 zone valves in the attic. If there are any more of these 1963 round valves is there any chance of replacement heads.....leaving the valve in place in a not so friendly place to solder?

Now that the attic has cooled off somewhat I have accounted for 5 of 7 zone valves.
6 seem to function, 3 of those 6 close with water hammer being plumbed backwards.
How long can they function this way? The only indication of their age is the fact that they the "New" style that allow the powerhead to be changed with out opening the water side.

The Honeywell Braukmann Zone Valve with the cartridge changer still installed is simply open for flow.
It also is plumbed backwards. After drain down of system, I removed the tool and see why the changer was left in place. The cartridge was in pieces inside the changer. Would this have gotten destroyed by the reverse flow??
The standard HW V8043 next to this Braukmann is one that hammers also, being backward plumbed.

Comments

• billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    Still have a couple of those on hand. Reman ofcourse
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,615
    Nice score! The body of that valve looks like it's the same as the Honeywell TRVs, I believe I've seen universal 3rd party heads for those, but I can't recall if they were powered or TRV style.
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    Check with a Sid Harvey for possible reman heads. You will also want to keep some "butterflies" on hand if you want to keep them in service, but I would think upgrade would be the best solution
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,366
    That where a ProPress comes in handy.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
    R ManninoCharlie from wmass
  • JUGHNE
    Ratio, the valve you refer to is the one on the bottom of the tool?
    As I said the tool must have been there for 2 years. I don't know if there is even an element in the bottom of it. I don't touch things like that until I know what they are.....well usually anyway.
    The function of that would be an electrically controlled zone valve for BB heaters.
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,615
    Yes, check this out. I've installed several of them in both steam & water applications. I wanted to get the tool, because I have a tool habit, but I can't afford that one. Maybe I'll find one in a ceiling one day!
  • JUGHNE
    More text added above with pictures, didn't post as anticipated.