Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

A visual on flow transition in pipes

Options
hot_rod
hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
edited August 2016 in THE MAIN WALL
This display allows me to demonstrate air, dirt, magnetic separation and also show flow changes as pumps ramp up and down in speed. A small aquarium air pump allows for air removal demo. 409 stainless steel chips work good for a magnetic separation demo, and they don't rust.

At flow rates in excess of 2 fps, as predicted by the formulas, you can see the water display a sort of multiple "cork screw" patterns through the pipe. As you slow flow the fluid "screw" patterns stretch out, and slow down and less movement is seen.

Eventually the flow appears to stop moving, at flow rates below about 1 gpm as best as I can measure. Injecting some air show a small movement in the core of the tube, bubbles actually stop moving and cling to the wall of the tube.

The pumps adds heat to the loop when you run it for an hour or so, at low flow rates you can feel then pipe wall is cooler that at the 2 fps flow rate, indicating the heat transfer is tied directly to flow velocity.

You can also see the action inside the closely spaced tees, and the reverse flow or two direction flow as you vary the primary and secondary flow rates. In this pic secondary glow is going up, primary flowing down.

Inject large air and you can see the effect of cavitation in the clear plastic pump bodies.

A poor mans 0-10VDC control via a 9 V battery.

It's a little tough to get on a plane, else I would take it to all training classes.
A clear fire tube boiler demo would be nice to add.

img src="https://us.v-cdn.net/5021738/uploads/editor/dp/vfg247f52g9m.png" alt="" />

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
trainer for Caleffi NA
Living the hydronic dream
kcopp4Johnpiperick in Alaska

Comments

• Canucker
    Canucker Member Posts: 722
    Options
    @hot rod Do you have a video of it in action? I would love to see it. That might be something you can tote around easier than the set up. I seem to remember someone linking to a steam set up made of glass, which was fascinating to watch
    You can have it good, fast or cheap. Pick two
  • hot_rod
    Options
    Canucker said:

@hot rod Do you have a video of it in action? I would love to see it. That might be something you can tote around easier than the set up. I seem to remember someone linking to a steam set up made of glass, which was fascinating to watch

Good idea, a neighbor is a photographer, he may have a better setup to film it in action. Be a fun You Tube project.

This is acrylic, it starts to squirm at warm temperatures, glue joints don't care for pressure and temperature, lots of JB weld repairs on those large pieces. I keep a large towel and bucket on standby when I take it on the road.

This is a portable version for our reps, air, dirt, mag separation with an air pump.

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • Canucker
    Canucker Member Posts: 722
    Options
    Clear PTFE might work? Joints would probably still be an issue, I've personally never seen it heat welded together but I'll bet Swagelok has fittings
    You can have it good, fast or cheap. Pick two
  • hot_rod
    Options
    Canucker said:

Clear PTFE might work? Joints would probably still be an issue, I've personally never seen it heat welded together but I'll bet Swagelok has fittings

I've tried a few different plastic tubes. Clear PVC is to purple colored, some of the poly and acrylics are not CTS so fittings are a problem.
    With this acrylics, I heat it with a heat gun to make sweeps, save on fittings. It is glue-able with a cement like you use for models, but no fittings.

The shark bite fittings allow you to disassemble and reuse them and the tube. I router a piece of plywood to make a template to bend the ells and 180 bends.

Various wall thickness available also. US Plastic in Ohio is a good source for all things plastic, quick shipping and small quantity orders are accepted.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • Harvey Ramer
    Harvey Ramer Member Posts: 2,239
    Options
    That's some pretty cool stuff bob! Nothing speaks louder than seeing physics in real time!
    Canuckerdelta T
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    Options
    I like it! When I was in college, we built a trainer out of acrylic for the different industrial valves and flow meters. It was fun, but was all an open drain down system. Had many pneumatics and 4-20ma transducers performing various functions. Closed loops hydronic would be more fascinating to watch!

TS
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
  • Erin Holohan Haskell
    Erin Holohan Haskell Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,290
    Options
    @hot rod - This is fantastic! Thanks for taking such a visual approach to teaching. I'd love to see a video too.
    President
    HeatingHelp.com
  • keyote
    keyote Member Posts: 659
    Options
    This makes me wonder about my last post about the lochinvar schematic which shows the air dirt separator on the generously sized header I would think it would be a bad place for it unless you didnt upsize the header < 2 fps untill after the separator
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Think wide spot in the road if that anology helps. The dirt seperator creates that.

Then think like dirt particles and air bubbles.

Then you must think about where you don't want them, and where you want them to end up to be removed. Be one with the air, water, and dirt. Then no visual animation is needed.

• keyote
    Options
    yeah so a "generously sized header" is a wide spot in the road, and the animation shows dirt slowing to a standstill as velocity falls so i would think you would not want the separator on that wide spot where they show it or have i got it backwards and you want it where the water is slowest.
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Options
    keyote said:

have i got it backwards and you want it where the water is slowest?

Right. Slow the water down: The dirt falls and the bubbles rise.
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Actually the dirt seperator/air removal device creates its own wide spot in itself. However using the larger dia. Header helps the device do a more proficient job.
    SWEI
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Options
    A bit of semantic scrambling, but we are both really saying the same thing here.
    Gordy
  • keyote
    Options
    thanks for clearing that up
  • hot_rod
    Options
    No harm in having multiple "wide spots". Include a magnetic band on that spot if you plan on using ECM pumps

Strainers or dirt depressors will not remove fine magnetite particles commonly found in hydronic piping
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • keyote
    Options
    those things are really pricey if its really needed ill do it just wondered if people noticed the ecm pumps claim to have it built in and if that putting a magnet in the strainer basket was going to really hepl
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,304
    Options
    Hello: Just a fun little FYI, a Frederick Dye, who passed away in 1930, wrote a book called Hot Water Supply and in it he describes how to use amber or hardwood dust to show the movement of water in glass apparatus he would build to simulate different heating systems. Here is a drawing of his.
    Good stuff!

Yours, Larry
    SWEI
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,528
    Options
    Dye. How appropriate!
    Retired and loving it.