Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

are rads with TRVs advisable with modcon

naphelge
naphelge Member Posts: 9
Quick question. I will install a gas modcon with 7 cast iron rads throughout the house this year (replacing old electric baseboard heating system) and was wondering, is it advisable to equip the rads with TRVs to help regulate water flow, and in turn the temperature in specific parts of the house. Or should water be allowed to flow freely through all rads and relying solely on the modcon to regulate the water temperature to keep the house heated at a desired temp?

In case it is relevant, each rad will be fed/return via manifolds, with my shortest run being ~11 feet and the longest ~36 feet.

Comments

• EzzyT
    EzzyT Member Posts: 1,294
    The TRVs will regulate the temp in the room that the radiators are located in and the boiler out door reset should regulate the water temp in the system
    E-Travis Mechanical LLC
    Etravismechanical@gmail.com
    201-887-8856
  • naphelge
    naphelge Member Posts: 9
    So TRVs then are advisable? I am asking because I am about to order my rads and I can order them with or without TRVs for additional cost. I just wasn't sure if they were an advisable necessity with modcon or not.
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    Size your radiators so you can heat with 130* water at design temperature. Use TRV's in sleeping areas, and areas that get a lot of solar gain, then call it a day.
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,592
    Paul48 said:

Size your radiators so you can heat with 130* water at design temperature. Use TRV's in sleeping areas, and areas that get a lot of solar gain, then call it a day.

I'd also do TRVs in the kitchen my self and perhaps rooms close to it that may get hot from oven and stove use.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment