Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Lennox Condensing Unit

Options
Can anyone tell me the SEER on a Lennox model HS9-653-4Y condensing unit?

Comments

• GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,692
    Options
    That was before my time but I must be old as dirt. I'd guess 6 or 8 seer.
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • GW
    Options
    It must be old as dirt...... Hahahaha, I'm a president Johnson baby, not too old, not too young
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • stcornish
    stcornish Member Posts: 3
    Options
    GW the series 10 is 1977. This is one series older. The series 10 is a 10 SEER per Lennox. I am doing an energy calculation and will go with 10 unless I can find a different record.
  • GW
    Options
    OK I grabbed my big book, the 10 series is not a 10 seer, don't know who you got that info from. The 10 series is 1976 to 1981, rated at an average of 7 to 8 SEER. My book doesn't show the HS9 though, that must be ancient. It HP 8 series (heat pump) rated at 6 to 6.8 SEER
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • stcornish
    stcornish Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Gary thanks. I got the info from my local Lennox parts house.
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,478
    Options
    i trust the SEER about as much as I trust most other government efforts to 'improve' our lives. At least the old EER was based on a real metric.

In 1971 I had a 14,000 BTU window AC with an EER of 10, that ran for nearly 30 years without fault. I just looked through what they sell now and the EER is all the way up to 11.5, not much of an improvement for 45 years.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • GW
    Options
    Lennox parts staff......hummm I wish I was a fly on the wall for that conversation.

Yes eer is the real deal but whatever, lll play the game and talk seer, doesn't bug me at all.
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    Options
    I have a book that goes way back- HS9-653 - 54,000 Btu/h, 7.2 SEER. Looks like the HSW models got into the 5 and 6 SEER units.
    Steve Minnich
  • John Mills_5
    John Mills_5 Member Posts: 951
    edited June 2016
    Options
    HS9 was approx 1976-1982. Most matches were in the 7 SEER range. If your evap didn't leak refrigerant or the drain pan didn't rust out, those suckers lasted. I looked at one the other day. Compressor ran, fan motor locked up and unit empty.

Technically that one being 3 phase was rated in EER.