Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

I need a starting point. Please!

Tinman
Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
I finally made a commitment to learning CAD. I bought Visio and got an entire library of hydronic stencils from a friend in the industry. I have zero experience in CAD. None. But I'm determined to learn it. I don't have the luxury of taking classes at the local college because of my current work schedule.

If someone has a resource that they've used, whether it's a book(s) or a video, could you please share that with me? Maybe a contact they can refer me to? I do ok in MS Word and Excel but this doesn't seem to be as intuitive, leaning wise. I literally don't know where to start.

Thanks.
Steve Minnich

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,022
    do you have a community college nearby?

We have a local independent Apple reseller nearby.
    They will teach a class on about any computer topic. They did a 2 hr class for Ellen and me on i-phone tips and tricks.

Craigslist may have folks that offer specific training, or a local library.

Remember, Caleffi has a lot of Visio stencils on our website, hydronic and electrical. You see them in the back of every Idronics.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    Tinman
  • bask691979
    bask691979 Member Posts: 6
    This is kind of trickie depending on why you bought the program. If your trying to do 3D modeling and more advanced drawings you have no choice but to go to school. If your looking to just do basic object drawings without drawing the interior of an object just play around with it for an hour a night. You'll pickup in a few weeks.
  • Leon82
    Leon82 Member Posts: 684
    Check YouTube. I know there's solid works and mastercam videos there. There may even be some by the software company
  • CLamb
    CLamb Member Posts: 273
    Where are you? There are a lot of different way to learn like videos, books, and classes. It depends on your learning style. There are a few free programs. Of these my favorites are LibreCAD for 2D and FreeCAD for 3D. If you want to learn any of the major packages you'll find they are pricey. If you do take a course at a local community college you can likely qualify for a considerable academic discount.
  • Leon82
    Leon82 Member Posts: 684
    edited April 2016
  • Tinman
    edited April 2016
    Thanks for the input everyone. I'm not looking to do any 3D modeling. I currently draw all of our piping and electrical schematics. Every job is documented that way. I simply want to save on the amount of time doing all of this takes and to have something slightly more professional.
    Steve Minnich
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    I have been doing a lot of plan review and project management work and have come to like the simplicity of Bluebeam Revu.

You can download additional toolbars that have most hvac and electrical symbols.

You can also grab and resize anything from other PDFs.
    Building your own symbols and saving it to your toolbar is pretty slick.
    Being able to measure,modify and comment on electronic plans is awesome.
    You can send out an RFI with a very clear and professional proposed solution.
    You can use it for 30 days for free.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • mars_6
    mars_6 Member Posts: 107
    I also have found Bluebeam Revu. To be most heelpfull, it is a very flexible platform to work on.
    Matt Rossi
  • Tinman
    Thanks for the suggestion. I'll check it out.
    Steve Minnich
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Piotr (PEE ought-rah) Zelasko with (now) Porter Pipe and Supply is THE best person I know of on Visio. He too has an extensive library of symbols, etc. I've often thought that he should patent his symbols and drawings.

Tell him I said hello.

ME
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
    Tinman
  • Tinman
    Yes, I don't know why I didn't think of that! We're friends. I have many renditions of his CAD drawings. What's really remarkable is how he can hand draw a schematic in 2 minutes that looks like it was computer generated. Absolutely perfect!
    Steve Minnich
  • Tinman
    @Mark Eatherton Thanks for the reminder, Mark. We're meeting tomorrow morning.
    Steve Minnich