Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Caleffi TwistFlow Manifolds and Viega FostaPex

johntrhodes81
johntrhodes81 Member Posts: 42
I was told by a supplier that Viega FostaPex can't be used with Caleffi TwistFlow manifolds. Does this sound right?

Manifold: http://www.supplyhouse.com/Caleffi-6686H5S1A-1-TwistFlow-Manifold-8-Outlets
Pex Fitting: http://www.supplyhouse.com/Caleffi-680504A-1-2-PEX-Fitting-for-Manifolds

John

Comments

• johntrhodes81
    johntrhodes81 Member Posts: 42
    I checked with Caleffi directly, they said it is compatible.
  • Rich_49
    Rich_49 Member Posts: 2,766
    edited March 2016
    Sounds exactly right . Supplier does not sell Caleffi manifolds so just says something to get the manifolds he stocks purchased from him or has just basic product knowledge and is not able to mix and match . Funny , my Caleffi flush cart is plumbed with FostaPex , go figure
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    Langans Plumbing & Heating LLC
    732-751-1560
    Serving most of New Jersey, Eastern Pa .
    Consultation, Design & Installation anywhere
    Rich McGrath 732-581-3833
  • Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    How do like the flush cart? Good investment?
    Steve Minnich
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Tank is a bit small for some jobs, but all things considered, yes.

Cleaning grit and rust out of the bottom of the tank is a bit of a pain. I added a 4.5" x 10" (Big Clear or equivalent) housing in series with the return line. Washable 20µ pleated filter cartridges are lasting for 10-20 jobs.
    Tinman
  • Rich_49
    Completely happy with that purchase Stephen . Good idea Kurt , I think I'll do that also . We added a through fitting into the bottom of the tank to add water by turning on a valve when it is a bit too small
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    732-751-1560
    Tinman
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,022
    The challenge with FostaPex is the tool that strips the aluminum jacket off does not go deep enough. So the nut and ferrule will not go on far enough to get a tight grip.

If you can strip a bit deeper it will work.

I drilled another hole in the blade of the stripper tool to deepen that jacket peel.

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • bob eck
    bob eck Member Posts: 930
    If you are using the Viega Fostapex tubing why are you not using their manifolds?
  • Formerly
    Formerly Member Posts: 79
    caleffi manifolds have more features for similar price point.
  • bob eck
    What does the Caleffi manifold have that the Viega manifold does not have?
  • hot_rod
    Here are some of the features on the Caleffi S-1, available up to 13 ports.

The TwistTop actuator may be unique in the industry. When you manually lock it open, it "makes" the end switch, nice for purging, checking wiring, and troubleshooting.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • Rich_49
    Wish they came in Stainless also Bob .
    732-751-1560
  • hot_rod
    Rich said:

Wish they came in Stainless also Bob .

What about composite? We manufacture these, limited to 140°, so we have been reluctant to bring them to the US market.

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • bob eck
    Thanks for the info Hot Rod I work in outside sales for F W Webb in Allentown PA and we sell both Caleffi and Viega radiant pex tubing including the fostapex product. I have the fostapex tubing in my house running from condensing boiler to cast iron radiators. The fostapex is a great tubing. Please email me as much info on the Caleffi radiant headers including the composite models. Robert.eck@fwwebb.com thanks.
  • hot_rod
    Just a heads up, some of the pex manufacturers suggest using any fitting other than their brand may void warranty?

Not sure why if the fitting and tube have the standard listed. I suspect Sioux Chief builds most of the copper barb and crimp rings for tube manufacturers?

We have been supplying that composite manifold to the western Canadian market to get some feedback. They seem to embrace designs below 140F up there.

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA