Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Why does wet rotor circulator in heating system get jammed ?

Roohollah
Roohollah Member Posts: 135
Dear Professionals ,

We have always traced practical answers to the question why wet rotor circulators ( PSC ) get jammed during off - season heating system . As usual , we open their breather caps to revolve their shafts gingerly by screw driver .However, when the shafts have stuck , we unscrew their housing stators to inspect inner parts . Always, black dirt and deposits have been seen .Thus, we contrive to chemically monitor the heating fluid to balance it as much as our available chemical instrument testers help us and home owners have desires to have their heating system's fluid balanced and softened .Now, we would like to realize this situation deeply and whether this problem is intrinsic to this type of pump or serious inspection must be carried out to keep the pump in a good condition to operate properly over years ?

Thank you for taking the time to consider our questions with alacrity and teach us unforgettable and informative lessons , as always.

We look forward to hearing from you at your convenience time ,

Yours Sincerely,

Roohollah ,

Comments

• Harvey Ramer
    Harvey Ramer Member Posts: 2,239
    Judging from the looks of that cast iron volute, you have some bad corrosion issues in that system. That will stop a pump.

I would make sure the system isn't loosing water anywhere. Continous fresh water will eat a system from the inside out. I've heard tales of people connecting a garden hose to a boiler drain valve and using the hot system water to wash sidewalks or melt ice or whatever else their innocent mind can conceive.

Sounds like you are already looking at the pH and trying to keep it balanced? Is the system filled with softened water? Water from a typical softener is not a good idea for a hydronic system. If you have a conductivity meter, it may be a good idea to check the water with that.

Also, sometimes when you are cleaning up a system that has been neglected, the cleaner loosens up dirt and sludge and the pumps fall victim.
    Roohollah
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,024
    There seems to be a change of position on using softened water in boilers. In the UK they have a standard now to address this.

http://friendlywater.co.uk/blog/can-i-put-softened-water-in-my-central-heating-system
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    Harvey RamerRoohollahTinman
  • gennady
    gennady Member Posts: 839
    You can install Caleffi dirtmag.
    Roohollah
  • Harvey Ramer
    Harvey Ramer Member Posts: 2,239
    That's interesting Hotrod.

Just when you think you know something, they change it on you...
  • Roohollah
    Dear Friends,

I would like to sincerely thank you all for guiding me to proper and practical remedies . I do appreciate for the support and time .

As regard with the mentioned system , I would like to explain it in more precise details. The attached photographs of the in line wet rotor circulator had been working for nearly three years in open expansion tank boiler room . As you stated earlier , the evaporation of the open expansion tank makes the float fresh valve to compensate the amount of water which has been turned into vapor due to evaporation . In this case, fresh water which is called a culprit has the potential of corroding the heating system where there is no regular maintenance or inhibitor in side of the system. On the top of that , Last year the home owner decided to run the heating system himself and he forgot to open the discharge gate valve of the circulator , and he gave me a ring when the circulator was working for 48 hours while there was no circualtion in Radiators . I dismantled the circulator to check the inside of housing and rotor ,and the circulator never worked at low and medium speeds and it just worked at high speed very noisily and could not work continuously . There fore , i had to swamp this circulator with new one for Its company 's distrubutor ( Dab ) in our area does not approve the idea of repairing this type of Circulator.

In our area , Caleffi's products are not available on the market ,and I met them at trade show last year In Tehran ,and I asked them about their presence in our market ,and they stated that they have tendency to export their products when there will be a noticeable demand for their products and reliable company as a distributor.

As regards softening Make - up water to the heating system , i would like to say that this system Make - up water is city water ( drinkable one ) and its TDS is 145 ppm and PH is 8 .

As the evidences showed , There were two remedies to consider . Firstly, Switching the boiler room 's expansion tank into closed and modern expansion type and secondly , adding specific anti corrosion which was compatible with black Iron pipe and cast sectional cast Iron boiler .To my surprise ,the home owner refused both preventative solutions and stuck to his guns ( Pardon my french ) .

Thank you for patience with this long comment ,

I avidly look forward to hearing from you ,

Yours Sincerely,

Roohollah ,
  • hot_rod
    Fluid quality causes the vast majority of failures on the wet side of boilers, pumps, control valves, heat exchangers, etc.

That system needs a good power flush, run a hydronic detergent cleaner up to temperature for a day or do.

Flush again, gill with good quality water.

If it stays an open system or has non barrier tubing you will need to add and maintain a hydronic conditioner with an oxygen scavenger ingredient. This is exactly why Fernox and other conditioners were developed.

The U.K. Has a lot of open systems, that is where Fernox was first developed.

If you use any ECM circ pumps, I highly recommend a magnetic separator
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Roohollah
  • Roohollah
    Dear Hotrod ,

Thank you for another useful solution . Certainly , you guys explain every technical situation in deeper layers which indicates how perfectly you all look at problems . I really enjoy following the path which has been lighted by Heating Help Professionals .

Once , we tried to retrofit a boiler room which provided heating for three storeys Villa .The heating system was Radiant floor ( Multi layer Pex 16 mm ) .When we installed our new Close circuit P&S pumping for this project before operating the system we checked the Radiant maifolds for having peace of mind . Unfortunately , many of the radiant zones at their manifolds got jammed or they were covered by thick reddish deposit . So, we got ready for flushing the radiant by powerful pump and then applying anti scale solution ( mixed with water and circulating through the radiant zones ) . You are completely right ,and flushing the system and applying proper solution for removing
    scales and thin layer of oxidation inside of the heating pipes will rescue the heating system .

Also , i appreciate your advice for magnetic separator in system when ECM circualtors are operating.

I have attached the photographs of the project where we cleansing the radiant tubes .

Once more, thank you for your patience and prompt comments which I treasure them .

Yours sincerely,

Roohollah,
  • hot_rod
    It's worldwide!

Here is what it looks like over here.
    Also the chemical make up.
    And what it can do to pumps and boiler sections,etc.

Notice in the equation you have O2, with an O2 free system, little if any corrosion.

Eliminate or chemically absorb the O2 and the corrosion will end, but it will be an ongoing process to do that with non barrier tube.

That very fine magnetite can be tough to clean out and keep out of a system that sucks O2, it may end up in ECM type pump motors.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Roohollah
  • Roohollah
    Dear Bob ,

Thank you for the attached photographs and the comment . They picture the importance of treating the heating water chemically and physically .

To best of our recollection , we have installed a magnetic separator ( U.K brand ) in one our closed circuit system for years . The project piping was black iron and we repiped some corroded pipes with Uponor Eval Pex for heating . I have attached some photographs of the project and we would like to request you for further information on magnetic separator in case that it is possible .

I do appreciate your support and friendship ,

Yours Sincerely,

Roohollah