Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Uponor vs. Watts

johntrhodes81
johntrhodes81 Member Posts: 42
For the runs to baseboards/Rad in a hydronic system I am planning to run Pex-AL-Pex. One Supplier has Watts pex-al-pex and Watts pex-al-pex Compression fittings. The other place I am looking at has Uponor Pex-AL-Pex but only Mr. Pex or Rifeng Brand pex-al-pex Compression fittings (they also have RIfeng pex-al-pex). I am not really keen on buying the $760 Uponor MLC crimp tool to crimp 24 connections.

Any opinions on Watts with Watts fittings or Uponor with Mr. Pex or Rifeng fittings?

I did check the supplier says Uponor is compatible with the compression fittings.

Thanks,
John

Comments

• bob eck
    bob eck Member Posts: 930
    I sell and used the Viega fostapex tubing and fittings pex press type fittings in my house.
    The fostapex tubing is great and so are their pex press fittings.
    I was told compression fittings can come loose with time.
    I also do not like insert pex fittings with orings
    Where are you located? Some wholesalers who sell the Viega fostapex tubing also rent the prep tool and press tool.
  • johntrhodes81
    edited March 2016
    I am probably over thinking this but fostapex requires removing the outer layer to use the fittings. This is where the oxygen barrier is. Doesn't removing the oxygen barrier at the fitting defeat the purpose and let in O2? I had been avoiding fostapex for this reason. Maybe I am over thinking this.

John
  • Snowmelt
    Snowmelt Member Posts: 1,405
    john your over thinking, the fostapex purpose in my opinion is so the pex doesn't sag and take shape for where it has to be installed
  • johntrhodes81
    Ok, So your saying that Fostapex shouldn't let in more Oxygen than competing PAP, so I shouldn't worry.
  • Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    Don't worry. They both need to meet the same standard. Both are approved in the City of Chicago for the application you have. That says a lot.
    Steve Minnich
  • johntrhodes81
    Thanks.
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Don't forget Radiant Engineering, who actually invented them (and offers them in more configurations, including longer lengths) http://radiantengineering.com/productsthermofin/