Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Viega PEX Press fittings swiveling after crimping - Help!

Scott_Mountain_View_CA
Scott_Mountain_View_CA Member Posts: 202
edited February 2016 in THE MAIN WALL
I'm way deep into a project loaded with Viega PEX Press Bronze fittings, most of which are now sealed inside of walls. This morning I was positioning 2 different copper pipes for strapping to studs. Both pipes were connected to Fosta PEX tubing with copper tube to Fosta PEX fittings, properly crimped with the appropriate Viega PEX Press crimping tool. In moving the pipes into position against the studs, I happened to notice the connections swiveling from the slight torque of moving the copper pipes against the studs. Is this normal? Should I be concerned about leaking connections down the road? The entire system was pressure tested with 60 PSI city water before closing up the walls, with zero leaks after a 2 hours.

I need to close up this wall today but being Sunday I'm unable to contact Viega to ask about the swiveling.

Anyone have experience with this? Are these couplings intended to swivel without leaking?

Comments

• Rich_49
    Rich_49 Member Posts: 2,766
    Slight turning of the pipe within the made up fitting is normal . Just don't force it in an attempt to see how far it goes .
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    Langans Plumbing & Heating LLC
    732-751-1560
    Serving most of New Jersey, Eastern Pa .
    Consultation, Design & Installation anywhere
    Rich McGrath 732-581-3833
  • Thanks Rich. I just made up a couple of test connections with some left over bronze PEX Press fittings and 1/2" Fosta PEX tubing. The connections were perfectly executed and they both swivel with minimal torque applied. I have to assume this is by design. I searched the Viega site and nowhere could I find any mention of this phenomenon. You'd think they'd mention this in their instruction sheet, or on their FAQ's. I know the local Viega rep, I'm going to call her Monday to get her take on it.

Rich, thanks again for taking the time to read and respond to my question.
  • Bob Bona_4
    Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
    For me, it's been no problem to spin pipe on the fittings, any size, to line things up etc, no integrity issues on 100 psi air test. It's been over 10 years with thousands of fittings, tweaking them here and there, with not one leak.
    Rich_49
  • bmwpowere36m3
    bmwpowere36m3 Member Posts: 512
    Noticed the same with copper crimp-ring PEX (Apollo or Sharkbite).... not a single leak. PEX pipe itself is fairly "slippery" and the brass fitting are smooth as well (besides the ribs), so not much to stop them from rotating.