Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Steam Boiler Modulation Actually More Efficient?

Options
Med618
Med618 Member Posts: 15
Are the benefits of modulation negated by the additional excess air required by the burner at low fire? Specifically I'm talking about scotch marine steam boilers with mainly single point positioning Industrial Combustion and Powerflame burners. The manuals for these burners indicate that a higher percentage of Oxygen at low fire. My assumption is that at least in the application I'm describing, the efficiency at low fire is diminished and I wonder if that diminished efficiency out weighs the gains from modulation. Does anyone know of any good articles about this?

Comments

• jumper
    jumper Member Posts: 2,246
    Options
    Also consider the whole system efficiency. Longer run times.Even continuous.
  • deadmansghost
    deadmansghost Member Posts: 32
    Options
    A reasonable difference of excess air percentage between low and high fire rates does not calculate into massive fuel waste. As mentioned above heating surface will absorb slightly better at the lower velocity of combustion gasses. Precise chimney draft control is important to help maintain the slower velocities, suggested reading is North American Manufacturing Combustion Handbook.