Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Buderus with Riello Burner question

Options
336mlk
336mlk Member Posts: 17
I plan to call a service tech on Monday but was wondering if someone could give me an idea on what is going on and if it is an expensive fix or not. This problem started happening about 2 weeks ago and at first I thought it was nothing but I should of known better. When the Riello starts up there is typically a few seconds before the boiler "fires up", and it stays firing until the correct water temp is reached in the boiler. I don't know the terms per se but there is a reason why I want to specify these 2 steps of the Riello starting and then the boiler firing.

Two weeks ago when the boiler needed to bring up the water temp, the Riello would kick in and in a few seconds the boiler would fire up. But then within a second the boiler would stop firing. The Riello is still working or humming so the Riello itself never stops. The Boiler would then fire up again and then a second later stop. On the third time the boiler would fire up and finally stay up. I noticed over the next couple days it would do the same thing and sometimes it wouldn't. Sometimes it would do this stop and start firing thing and finally go on the 5th try. Today I noticed that it now does it all the time and the boiler never fires for longer than say 5 minutes. It is constiantly doing this firing and stop firing thing all the while the Riello burner itself is still "humming".

Is there a term to give the tech so I can properly give him the correct description and is this an expensive fix. Luckily I have an outdoor wood boiler that also connects to my system so I can use that for now until things get fixed.

Thank you

Comments

• GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,693
    Options
    Have no fear, seems pretty basic, probably just a basic tune up needed. The riello is acting the way is should when things are not ideal conditions.

When is the last time the boiler had its tune up?

Just tell the tech the boiler runs but then cuts out, you don't need to go on and on.

Gary
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • 336mlk
    Options
    Just bought the house this year so I'm not really sure when the last maintenance was done by the previous owner. I do see on the filter that it has the date 2/15/2015 so I assume that is when that filter was replaced but not sure about everything else. Good to know it doesn't sound serious.

• 336mlk
    Options
    Should I get a tech that is Buderus certified or will any Heating company do?
  • GW
    Options
    Riello is very common yet not nearly as common as the beckett,

If you can find someone that is familiar with Buderus you'll be better off.

Do a Web search and see who may work on buderus in your area. You may be best served with an oil company that works on buderus

Of course there's always the consumer that wants to save 5 cents a gallon and buys oil from a discount provider. That's code for 'no service department'.
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Riello is the burner, Buderus the boiler. The burner is the only thing that fires, so that is what is firing and cutting out.
    Riello would typically go thru pre purge, about 15 seconds, then fire. If no flame is immediately established, it will stay in pre purge (scavenger), and try to fire again, then again, then lock out. So it's working as it should, just indicating there may be a problem with oil supply/spray.
    It could be as simple as a nozzle, could be air in the line (if 2 pipe). But as GW says, just needs someone experienced with Riello to give it a tune up, and check out.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• GW
    Options
    Yes with cold crazy weather maybe excessive draft
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • 336mlk
    Options
    Thanks guys slowly learning...