Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Contractor in SE Michigan

Options
I'm lothe to have my first post be a cliche "Help!" post, but I timing is causing me to bypass proper etiquette. I did search and used the Find a Contractor tool, but came up with:

No results within 100 mile radius around 48108

Short version: 1926 house with a Weil McLain EGH 115 (500,000 BTU) that was installed ~1994. It has not been maintained. Previous owners and their HVAC folks did nothing to help extend the life of this thing. It has recently (yesterday) sprung a leak in a seam between two sections. That's unfortunate, but it really is just catalyzing what I knew was imminent. So, now I need a new boiler in short order. And I have a couple quotes (another Weil McClain and a Burnham).

Here's what I desperately need from the collective here: Someone smarter than me that can quote me a new system. All the prices being equal, I'd prefer to get someone who actually knows their stuff. I'm growing tired of pointing out things that should be adjusted in the install to the estimators and educating them about things like Gorton valves. I'd even pay a bit extra to have someone who can start a relationship with this house and help me through the next inevitable issues that come up with the neglected system. The current no-heat situation makes the boiler and near boiler plumbing be the critical issue.

So, if anyone has suggestions/recommendations, I'd appreciate it. If not, totally understandable. Finding good steam guys seems to be about as hard as finding Unicorn trainers.

Thanks in advance!

For geolocation purposes, zip code is 48108

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    Options
    Try asking at the local plumbing supply house for the names of anyone who works with steam-even retired might do.--NBC
  • posterChild
    posterChild Member Posts: 2
    Options
    NBC,

Thanks for the advice. I've been in contact with my local supply houses and they've been less than useful. I couldn't find anyone who even knew what a Vaporstat was and sourcing a pilot gas tube for my Weil McClain EGH was like asking for moon rocks. I do have a couple contacts in the HVAC industry that I've reached out to. I was just hoping to get someone with actualy steam knowledge to help out. As it is now, I think I'll end up doing most of the leg work myself and end up buying from whomever seems the most willing to work with me on doing things the 'right' way... insomuch as I know what the right way is. At least I know what a Gorton valve and Vaporstat are...
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    Options
    Is there a union hall for steam fitters nearby? Maybe someone there would know.--NBC
  • Pidge
    Pidge Member Posts: 18
    Options
    Hutzel Plumbing & Heating Company (Ann Arbor) had a steam expert named Fremont Loebbestahl, now deceased. They have or had a tech that apprenticed under Fremont according to my engineer friend (Tad) with a steam system, who has and read "The Lost Art of Steam Heating." Fremont worked on Tad's system and Tad was very impressed with Fremont's role in restoring his system after hacks caused a number of problems. This was probably over 20 yrs ago. Fremont was retired, but came in to troubleshoot the system.

Since then, the "apprentice" (name-unknown) now a full tech, did excellent work for Tad. Fremont's former apprentice is who you want.

On the downside, one time Hutzel sent two techs who didn't know steam, and they replaced a pipe and installed the new pipe sloped the wrong way. When Tad got home that evening, he knew the slope was the wrong and called Hutzel about the issue. Then the supervisor showed up with the two techs and he supervised their work. The supervisor knew what he was doing and Tad was happy.

Tad has only used Hutzel since meeting Fremont and the last time the "apprentice" was there was about 3 or 4 years ago.

A different friend had Hutzel install a new water heater. After a few years the mfr had some kind of field fix (dip tube maybe?) covered under the warranty, but Hutzel refused to do the warranty work. She had to hire a different plumber to do the warranty repair, and she was pissed! She isn't a trouble maker.

On the other hand, my ex had Hutzel do some major drain work in her basement within the last two years. Within a few days, there was a problem, but they stood behind their work, fixed it, and my ex is happy.

Sorry about the mixed reports - I hope it helps.

SWEIposterChild