Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Pretty sure I need a new boiler

Options
1927 home with one-pipe steam. Gas-fired Dunkirk installed by PSE&G in 1986. Since I lived here (2002) automatic damper, low water cut off and intermittent ignition replaced. Other than that, nothing major. Reading Dan's books and lurking on Wall, I felt okay doing some light service. I have used Steam Clean yearly, which had helped keep the water remarkably clear and the boiler rather quiet.

This season, the boiler got noisier. Recently I felt I had to add more make up water than usual. No leaks at radiator valves or under boiler. Over the past week or so I began adding much more water. Low water cut off kicked in twice. Tonight I see moisture where the top panel meets the front panel. I don't see escaping steam and I do get some pressure on my low pressure gauge. But I am nearly certain I have a leak above the water line, and I think I may need a new boiler.

Comments

• BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,478
    Options
    The jacket has to be removed and the source of that leak found. If it is a hole in the casting the boiler will have to be replaced but hopefully it will limp along for a month or so it does not have to be done while the temps are near zero.

In any case you have to know what your dealing with so I'd have it looked at asap. Make sure you choose an installer carefully, get the right size boiler installed and correct any piping issues at the same time.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • New England SteamWorks
    Options
    Never fun, I know. But it could be worse. You live in NJ which means you can call Dave0176.

Taking a look at some of his install pics should really cheer you up! You're in for a treat.
    New England SteamWorks
    Service, Installation, & Restoration of Steam Heating Systems
    newenglandsteamworks.com
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    Options
    Can you do an over-filling test up to the header when the boiler has cooled down somewhat? Let it sit for several hours to see how much water has leaked out, and where.
    Look up at the chimney, and see if there is a lot of steam coming out.
    If your supply piping is perfect, and the boiler is the correct size for the radiators, then you could compare the cost of replacing the sections with a new boiler.
    Put a water meter on the feed line for the boiler, so you can see how much water is added as time goes on.
    Don't forget to do a through skimming after the installation. Using products like Steam Clean, or Squick are no substitute, and can coat the bottom of the boiler with calcium, interfering in heat transfer.
    It does seem that you have got a decent life span from this.--NBC
  • Bio
    Bio Member Posts: 278
    Options

Don't forget to do a through skimming after the installation. Using products like Steam Clean, or Squick are no substitute, and can coat the bottom of the boiler with calcium, interfering in heat transfer.
    It does seem that you have got a decent life span from this.--NBC

There is no calcium in those products, it's a diatomaceous earth base product which absorbs oils and keeps water crystal clear, it could be flush at a later time
  • SteamNoviceNJ
    SteamNoviceNJ Member Posts: 6
    Options
    Confirming that steam is indeed visible from boiler - and chimney. Still have heat, though. Some comfort heading into this frigid weekend.

Ezzy is actually here now inspecting system and confirms replacement is necessary. Nobody is ever happy to have to replace a boiler, but this is an opportunity to install quality boiler, correct piping and make other aspects of system better going forward.

It will be $ well spent if it is done the right way.

Thanks all for your feedback.
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    You're in good hands with EzzyT ! No question it will be done right.
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    Options
    Squick and Steam Clean are indeed made from the exoskeletons of many one celled diatoms, and are pure calcium i would say.--NBC
  • SteamNoviceNJ
    Options
    Nice system planned out by Ezzy. Peerless with a drop header. He recommends a two-stage gas valve and a vaporstat.
  • Bob Gagnon plumbing and heating
    Options
    Consider replacing it with another Dunkirk/Utica, that one lasted 30 years and I bet had very little maintenance, they still have that old school quality.

Thanks, Bob Gagnon
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • SteamNoviceNJ
    Options
    Tough to articulate just how pleased I am with the install. Should post some more photos but I will start with this.
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    EzzyT posted some pic's. It looks Great!
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    Options
    Looks like a Peerless, which is still a quality boiler. You will have another 40 years from that one, which is now so well installed!--NBC