Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Adding Sound deadening Insulation to a Lochinvar WH

Options
ced48
ced48 Member Posts: 469
Any reason not to add some 3/4" sound deadening insulation to the inside cover of a Lochinvar wall hung boiler? They switched to a fiberglass cover with insulation on their Cadet series of boilers. I was thinking this might quiet down, what is already a quiet operating boiler, just a bit more. Only problem I can think of might be the computer?

Comments

• bmwpowere36m3
    bmwpowere36m3 Member Posts: 512
    Options
    I don't see why not... the bottom and top aren't sealed at the penetrations, so heat should still be able to pass thru.

I believe yours is inside a closet, right? I think you'll be much better off sound-proofing the closet (interior walls) than the 1" or so of material you might add inside the panel (likely to do nothing).

Also FG is a terrible sound deadener... I would go rockwool, roxsul, mineral wool preferably. If you have walls of the closet to work with, you can add mineral wool and even a layer of foam acoustic "wedges". Also seal the opening/door... as sound will just leak out the gaps...
  • ced48
    ced48 Member Posts: 469
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Yes the boiler is in a closet. First it had a louvered door for air circulation. I switched to a solid core door on advice from one of the techs at Lochinvar, but switched back to louvers when another tech said I needed the air circulation to keep the heat down. I was thinking of using an auto hood insulating material.
  • bmwpowere36m3
    bmwpowere36m3 Member Posts: 512
    Options
    I can't imagine it requires a lot of circulation, especially when your drawing intake from the outside... I'd put the solid doors back on and stick a thermometer in the closet and monitor the temps for a while. You could always run a supply/return duct from the closet to some other location if you need the keep temps down.