Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Boiler recommendation

Options
Wayco Wayne_2
Wayco Wayne_2 Member Posts: 2,479
Hey guys. Long time since I visited. I am more familiar with the mod con boilers since a lot of what I do is radiant floors and with the lower water temperatures the mod cons make the most sense. However, I am looking to take out a couple boilers for a large greenhouse. They are two Fulton boilers rated at 1 million btuh each. Interestingly they are condensing boilers, but someone should have saved their money. Since the greenhouse emitters need very hot water these boilers have never condensed. I noticed that the original contractor ran the condensate line in galvanized steel. If the boilers had condensed at all, that pipe would have corroded away by now. I am looking to upgrade to a standard efficiency boiler and to divide the load between 4 boilers for redundancy. I'm looking for simplicity and easy maintenance. What brands are you familiar with and would recommend? Thanks for your input.

Comments

• Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,541
    Options
    Big fan of Buderus CI boilers, you would probably need G334's
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
    TinmanDavid Sutton_6
  • lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    Options
    I know you wont condense but have you considered the HTP's? With the ability to cycle on demand and communicate we have saved two recent jobs a substantial amount of fuel. The most recent is heating 3 pools and a large emporium. The boiler's are cycling as demand needs and it is working to design beautifully...as it warms the boilers start to split the load, yesterday at 40 degree's the boiler's were at 53% cycle each...just a thought for ya..
  • njtommy
    njtommy Member Posts: 1,105
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I would still say Mod con just because of stilling being able to modulate down. Instead of banging on and off.
    What are the BTU requirements?
    Mark Eatherton
  • Wayco Wayne_2
    Wayco Wayne_2 Member Posts: 2,479
    Options
    2 million btuh. This is 100% redundant though so I can go don a little and still be covered. I was thinking of going with 4 Laars Mighty Therms controlled by a tekmar boiler contol. I'm looking for simplicity.
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Options
    So the actual load is only 1MM BTU/hr? What are the fuel costs like? Roughly how many hours per year do they need heat? Air quality issues from the environment?

At that size, there are quite a few options worth considering.
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    Options
    Is outdoor reset part of the design here, for the shoulder seasons? Maybe an analysis of the past fuel consumption would be helpful in confirming the needed BTU's.
    What happened to the old Fulton boilers?
    With several smaller boilers, 50% redundancy may be enough.
    The control system will be interesting to set up.--NBC

• CMadatMe
    CMadatMe Member Posts: 3,086
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I'd go with two Viessmann Vitocrossal CM2-311s, don't have to be prim/sec piped and can be common vented. No 3rd party control needed. Boiler already cascade ready and comes with its LON Cables for communication. They are high mass but even running 160 degree water you can still get over 90% out of them. While the min modulation rate on a single boiler is 222,000 each would run at 111,000 to get that min. Can't get more efficient then that for a simple system.

Note: You would have to add Common Vent Damper option if you decided to common vent, if not, then 8" Stainless or PPS for each and you're done..

Built you a complete spec, if you want to take a look. Combustion Air Devices, adaptors and common vent dampers options if you need them.

http://www.vitoteam.com/Pages/eng/sub/submittal.php?b1=2xCM2-311&c1=2xGW6B&v1=2xFVD-311&a1=CADA&a2=CCADI&a3=N70&

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Paul Pollets
  • Rich_49
    Rich_49 Member Posts: 2,766
    Options
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    Langans Plumbing & Heating LLC
    732-751-1560
    Serving most of New Jersey, Eastern Pa .
    Consultation, Design & Installation anywhere
    Rich McGrath 732-581-3833
  • arborus14
    arborus14 Member Posts: 8
    Options
    Hydrotherm KN Series - Cast iron condensing.