Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Copper Press Fittings

Options
Tinman
Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
I finally pulled the trigger. I just quoted my first job using press fittings. Its for a boiler replacement at a school on the north side of Chicago. I thought it would be crazy to use the torch with the amount of 3" pipe and fittings I have to deal with. Its also the first time I'm quoting Lochinvar's FTXL boiler. If I get it, I'll be cascading two smaller units in lieu of one larger unit. If ever there was a time to change, this is it.
Steve Minnich
hvacplumber7Rich_49Ironman4JohnpipeBerntKruse

Comments

• kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,432
    Options
    You will never go back.....
    TinmanIronmanBerntKrusebob eck
  • bob eck
    bob eck Member Posts: 930
    Options
    With the propress tool you can do copper fittings and Viega has megapress fittings out for use on plain end black steel pipe for water and another fitting for use on natural gas, LP gas and fuel oil lines. You can also press pex fittings.
    Tinman
  • Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    Options
    bob eck said:

With the propress tool you can do copper fittings and Viega has megapress fittings out for use on plain end black steel pipe for water and another fitting for use on natural gas, LP gas and fuel oil lines. You can also press pex fittings.

I have to admit I'm not 100% sure, but I believe Chicago does not allow the use of press fittings for natural gas yet. Not even sure if they allow press for domestic water.
  • Tom_133
    Tom_133 Member Posts: 884
    Options
    I am sorry this is a little off topic. Vermont does not allow progress on Natural yet, am I correct in saying national propane code allows it? Or is it a company by company answer?
    Tom
    Montpelier Vt
  • lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    Options
    It has been approved for use with propane up to 5 lbs. As far as local code that is up to the jurisdiction having authority. In NH I have not had an issue any place I have used it. Love how fast it makes a job go...
  • Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
    Options

I finally pulled the trigger. I just quoted my first job using press fittings. Its for a boiler replacement at a school on the north side of Chicago. I thought it would be crazy to use the torch with the amount of 3" pipe and fittings I have to deal with. Its also the first time I'm quoting Lochinvar's FTXL boiler. If I get it, I'll be cascading two smaller units in lieu of one larger unit. If ever there was a time to change, this is it.

Which tool did you decide to go with? I have yet to change.
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • Tinman
    Options
    I'm going to rent the Viega tool on the first one to make sure I like it and then go from there.
    Steve Minnich
  • hvacplumber7
    hvacplumber7 Member Posts: 15
    Options
    If you have a lot of Milwaukee m18 tools, I'd go with theirs. Bought ours a year ago and love it. Only draw back is how long the unit is. It also be nice if it had a swivel head.
    Tinman
  • Tinman
    Options
    The Viega tool may be made by Milwaukee? I'm sure someone knows that. I haven't seen it yet.
    Steve Minnich
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Let me take a moment and put a plug in for REMS. A. Great German made tool that uses DeWalt batteries. They offer tongs that cut threaded rod as clean as anything. This greatly cuts labor if you uses a lot of it (most of us do). You can also get tongs that cut large electrical cable.

Milwaukee has a soil pipe cutter head available.

I'd take a close look at everything REMS, Ridgid and Milwaukee offer then decide which one fits you best.

Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
    Tinman
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    I did a job in Warsaw, IN about 12 years ago and the local gas co. would not allow copper; something about the sulfide content in their gas being corrosive to the copper. That may be why it's prohibited in some jurisdictions.

The nation fuel gas code allows it on LP.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • EzzyT
    EzzyT Member Posts: 1,295
    Options
    The ridgid and milwaukee jaws are exactly same and made by the same manufacturer.
    Milwaukee does make a swivel head on the m18 unit.
    What really is the difference is that when you go above 2" the fittings change from one manufacturer to another.
    Stephen find out what kinda fittings your going with if there XC or XLC on the 21/2"-4".
    I've had the nibco, rems, ridgid and milwaukee.
    By far the Milwaukee has been the best
    E-Travis Mechanical LLC
    Etravismechanical@gmail.com
    201-887-8856
    TinmanAaron_in_Maine
  • hvacplumber7
    hvacplumber7 Member Posts: 15
    Options
    Ezzyt, did they just come out with the swival head. I haven't herd that before. If it's true, might be upgrade time!
  • Robert O'Connor_12
    Robert O'Connor_12 Member Posts: 728
    Options
    Ridgid RP-340 all the way!

Robert O'Connor/NJ
  • EzzyT
    EzzyT Member Posts: 1,295
    Options
    @hvacplumber7 milwaukee swivel head has been out for about more then a year.
    E-Travis Mechanical LLC
    Etravismechanical@gmail.com
    201-887-8856
  • BerntKruse
    BerntKruse Member Posts: 5
    Options
    The European market is currently flooded with press fittings, especially with the M-Profile either in stainless steel or cooper. Besides major brands such as Viega (ProoPress), or Geberit (Mapress), small manufactuers such as Swiss Fittings AG (GDPress), and Frabo Italy SPA. are offering high quality press fittings. Already some companies offer these in the States. It will be a matter of time until the trend catches on in the USA.

When it comes to the tools, I would either recommend Rems or Rothenberger. Rems for the installer for smaller projects, while Rothenberger will be more expensive, however will last a lifetime. One last comment: i would recommend M-Profile (M-Kontour) as these are mainly system independent. V-Profile will force you to stay with one supplier, not allowing you to switch suppliers.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,533
    Options
    @Ironman is correct about copper with natural gas and the sulfide thing. I never had a Rems propress but I have there threader. The quality is first rate.

I don't think propress XL fittings are made any longer just XL-C