Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Anyone know anything about this pressure gauge?

Options
Chris_L
Chris_L Member Posts: 336
I found this low pressure gauge on eBay and was wondering if anyone knew anything about it . It is new old stock so I haven't been able to find any documentation on it. (It doesn't look all that old.)

The gauge is labelled Kewanee Boiler Corp., but it was made by Marshalltown Gauge. Given that it only goes up to 10 inches of water, I am wondering what it would have been used for--natural gas pressure, air pressure on a forced draft, or was it really meant to measure steam pressure?

I'm planning to put it on a small residential boiler, once I get a valve and fittings to mount it on. So I am also wondering if the screws on the back are for calibration and how they work . Thanks.

Comments

• ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,672
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I don't know, I'm running a 0 - 2" WC gauge to measure steam pressure so who knows.

I doubt that was used for gas pressure, it doesn't look like a high enough quality gauge. For example, a Magnehelic can be used for gas pressure but it needs to be ordered with special options.

Screws on the back likely hold the black housing on.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    It appears "Marshalltown" is a value series produced by Marsh Bellofram group of companies. Looks like this may fall into what they call "general purpose" gauges. I would assume the "Value Series" may suggest a modestly priced line of products.
    https://www.marshbellofram.com/marsh/products/marshalltown-value-series-pressure-gauge/
  • Sailah
    Sailah Member Posts: 826
    Options
    I have some really large faced Marshalltown vacuum gauges I bought to make a manometer for measuring motorcycle carbs. They were mediocre quality but looked good in the ebay pics.

One of my distributors is Thuemling Industrial in Waukesha, WI. They make some really nice gauges esp for military and industrial usage.

http://www.thuemling.com/
    Peter Owens
    SteamIQ
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,672
    Options
    Sailah said:

I have some really large faced Marshalltown vacuum gauges I bought to make a manometer for measuring motorcycle carbs. They were mediocre quality but looked good in the ebay pics.

One of my distributors is Thuemling Industrial in Waukesha, WI. They make some really nice gauges esp for military and industrial usage.

http://www.thuemling.com/

I've been a Dwyer man my self for a while now. For gauges, pressure switches, air meters, manometers etc.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,061
    Options
    I have seen at least 3 of these gauges on Kewanee boilers. They show the gas pressure at the burner, are mounted on 1/4" pipe coming out of the burner assembly. (Most don't work after 30+ years) Some also have high pressure switch cutout mounted at this location with a tee.

They would only have pressure applied when firing. I believe one would not leave a gauge under constant pressure inside a building.IMO
  • Chris_L
    Chris_L Member Posts: 336
    Options
    Thanks all for your comments.
    @JUNGHNE, I figured someone had to have seen one of these in operation; thanks for confirming how it was used.

I'll be checking this one against my low-tech, home-made, high-accuracy manometer when I install it.
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,061
    Options
    valworx.com has #33004 0-15" WC for about 45 + 10 freight. Swiss made/new