Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

most unique product at AHR

hot_rod
hot_rod Member Posts: 22,024
Rehau had a display in their booth. Peel and stick down the sheet and the tube Velcro's ™ to it. Several manufacturers had displays of this at ISH 4 years ago.
Bob "hot rod" Rohr
trainer for Caleffi NA
Living the hydronic dream

Comments

• kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,419
    that's different
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Hmmm many different levels of Velcro holding power. Depends where you use it. Velcro is pricey to, the good stuff.
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,513
    I made a video in their booth for Business News Publishing (Plumbing & Mechanical and Supply House Times). I got to install some of that and it works beautifully. It's simply, easy, and it really does stick and stay.
    Retired and loving it.
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    I walked over and did the GC test on it (kicked it hard) and it stayed put. Uponor said they have the same type of product in Europe.

The only down side I can see for that system is that if you are doing a slab, you don't want to spend the extra money for the velcro if you aren't going to be using it, so it requires carrying two different types of tube. Naked and velcro. The side that is stuck to the floor is also a vapor barrier as well.

Rehau and Uponor are members of the RPA, and contribute to our educational efforts on a regular basis.

ME
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,024
    I can't say for sure it is Velcro™ brand.
    I think it is mainly for tube over subfloor, I'm not sure the mat would stick to the ground for a slab installation.

I suppose the cost savings is in the labor not needing to kneel down and staple or fasten the tube to a subfloor.
    Plus for a gyp pour it would seal all the cracks that allow the gyp to mysteriously disappear.
    Most first time gyp contractors have experienced that sinking feeling. It's amazing how much gyp weight the sheetrock ceiling below can support :)
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    edited February 2016
    I see. I did not realize that this was a complete membrane that goes down. I thought it was sticky patches applied as needed.
  • DanHolohan
    It's very thin and as sticky as fly paper. You peel off the backing. They told me it will work with any typical radiant surface. The membrane also has small printed dots on two-inch centers that make it easy to get the right tube spacing.
    Retired and loving it.
  • DanHolohan
    Here's a link to the video: https://youtu.be/c1fCfOynRbo

I really enjoyed my time as a modern-day tubester.
    Retired and loving it.
    kcopp
  • Harvey Ramer
    Harvey Ramer Member Posts: 2,239
    Nice Dan. I'll allow you to do a couple thousand sf if you are interested.
    Erin Holohan Haskell
  • DanHolohan
    Harvey, I live vicariously. ;-)
    Retired and loving it.
    Erin Holohan HaskellTinman
  • Harvey Ramer
    Harvey Ramer Member Posts: 2,239
    Gotcha, lol.