Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Boiler Differential Setting

ricking
ricking Member Posts: 34
I'm a little confused on this setting. I did install an electric boiler and was at a loss to what to set the DIFF at. Radiant heat in ceiling. Have set supply at 120. Any simple answer or is more info needed.

Thanks

Rick

Comments

• Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    I would drop your supply temp down to 105-110.
  • Gordy
    Is this a new ceiling radiant system, or older?
  • ricking
    You guys are the best. Thanks Hatter. I had it set at 20 so will drop it to 10. Thanks Gordy. Dropped the Boiler target from 120 to 110. Boiler max is at 120. Running at a steady 112 to 115 supply with 80 return. Seems to be losing some btu's up there in the ceiling somewhere. :) Too bad its not a gas mod con. Next year. I have missed this heat. System hasn't been running for over 5 years. Never again will it sit idle.
  • ricking
    As old as yours Gordy. Put in mid 40's
  • Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    @Gordy - just curious, why would you suggest lowering the water temp so quickly in the conversation?
    Steve Minnich
  • Gordy
    edited January 2016
    Depending on the ceiling radiant assembly. Should be able to easily pull off those SWT. All though would like details on the op's assembly, older in plaster like mine, or newer plated (hopefully). That, and if it's gypsum they don't like higher than 120 on their precious sheet rock.
  • Tinman
    Gotcha. I've seen radiant ceilings operating at much higher temps than that.
    Steve Minnich
  • Gordy
    Sure they can much higher than floors. What types of ceilings have you come across Stephen?
  • Gordy
    edited January 2016
    I have the original chase copper, and brass flyer from mine. Dan has similar in the library. Pretty interesting their thoughts back then.
  • Tinman
    They're mostly plaster and mesh. I see it quite a bit in certain suburbs, homes built in the 40's and 50's. I've read a lot of Tom Tesmar's stuff on radiant ceilings and have installed a fair share of plated ceilings myself.
    Steve Minnich
  • Gordy
    I think the old plaster ones have a slight advantage in conduction, and mass. Also temperature limitations. As you have noted you have seen much higher.

Come across any taco panetrols in the oldies. Still got mine.
  • Gordy
    Tom is a huge fan of radiant ceilings. Wonder his where abouts.
  • Tinman
    Gordy said:

I think the old plaster ones have a slight advantage in conduction, and mass. Also temperature limitations. As you have noted you have seen much higher.

Come across any taco panetrols in the oldies. Still got mine.

I have not. I will still see the occasional wrought iron radiant floor panel.
    Steve Minnich
  • Gordy
    Taco paneltrol is the mixing valve from the era.
  • ricking
    Here is a couple of pics of my system Gordy. The boiler is over sized but it can be re wired down to a more reasonable size. Right now it seems to only run in stage 1 which is about 34,000 btu. Stage 2 might kick in early in the cycle for a bit as the water is cool. Room was tight installing the boiler as you can see by the pic but seems to be running OK. The other pic is some of the valving in the walls to shut off a room if you like. Having a few issues with boiler settings and I think the themastat needs to be upgraded. Can any one recommend a good programmable one? The boiler has ODR but I can't figure out how to wire in. Do the wires have to pass through the themastat before going to the boiler terminals? There is some more detailed info on my system in an old post back in 2013 called "Old system to new"

Thanks again for all the help.

Rick
  • ricking
    No worries on the ODR wiring question. Talked to a couple of guys at Allied and Tekmar. It seems maybe my ODR sensor is FUBAR. Had it wired in correctly but no picking up outdoor temp.