Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Attic HVAC

Options
Apologies for the ignorant questions. We are doing a remodel where we are finishing a 1000 sqft attic. Our GC is dealing directly with the HVAC vendor and we have a hard time getting questions answered. I'm feeling they are trying to oversell us. They are suggesting a full HVAC system for the attic (specs below). I don't even know what the spec mean. All of our neighbors simply have a heating/AC unit setup in the wall of their finished attics and the summer/winter temps are great. Do we need the building of a complete system with a separate mechanicals room in our attic? Please help!

System:
- TCJF24
- TM9E040A10MP11
- MV/MC FOR 60 BTU

Comments

• unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    Options
    http://www.upgnet.com/PdfFileRedirect/1104909-URG-A-0214.PDF

http://www.upgnet.com/PdfFileRedirect/700697-LTG-C-0714.PDF

Looks like a 14.5 SEER A/C with a gas 90+furnace. I am not a big fan of York or Luxaire but that means diddly/squat as I'm sure many others love the stuff. If others have a PTAC and they are happy with it tell him to price one out for you.

• JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,061
    Options
    Where are you located so wall people can get an idea of your heating/cooling load. Makes a big difference. How many rooms?
  • GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,692
    Options
    Seems lame, you can not get answers? Aren't you the one with the check book? That's why I don't for builders anymore, balogna like this.

You may wish to contemplate ductless hvac, like Mitsubishi or Fujitsu

I don't know you or your builder, but someone needs to step up and say " don't do anything until I have more information".

You may even wish to hire your own hvac guy if the builder want to play his builder games with you.

I could go on and on, yet I'll stop at that
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
    Empire_2
  • njtommy
    njtommy Member Posts: 1,105
    Options
    Not sure where you live, but in colder climates it's not recommend to install 90% or higher efficiency furnaces in unconditioned spaces in the attic. This is due to they are condensing furnaces. I've seen it one time where the secondary heat exchanger froze due to power outage. So yes it's own mech room up in the attic would be recommended.
  • John Mills_5
    John Mills_5 Member Posts: 951
    Options
    Contractor tried to sell my cousin a system like that for a sunporch. For a considerable savings I sent her a through the wall unit like a motel room. They aren't all junky & noisy. A GE 6100 is really quiet and efficient. Or for about the same loot as the York system, the mini splits are whisper quiet and super efficient.
  • GW
    Options
    What a joke, some builders are just nuts !
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
    Empire_2
  • SlamDunk
    SlamDunk Member Posts: 1,580
    Options
    njtommy said:

Not sure where you live, but in colder climates it's not recommend to install 90% or higher efficiency furnaces in unconditioned spaces in the attic. This is due to they are condensing furnaces. I've seen it one time where the secondary heat exchanger froze due to power outage. So yes it's own mech room up in the attic would be recommended.

Like this?

http://www.wral.com/homeowners-find-green-heating-units-can-t-take-the-cold/14598654/

• njtommy
    njtommy Member Posts: 1,105
    Options
    Yes 100% like that.
  • Empire_2
    Empire_2 Member Posts: 2,343
    edited February 2016
    Options
    That's just plain incompetence..... Correct me if I am wrong, but does water still freeze at 32*????? Someone is not stating all the facts. If carrier found out that equipment was being exposed to 32* and or lower, they would be perfectly within their rights to VOID any and all warranty's on any unit installed in same matter on this job since it would not be the only failure. In addition, running drain to a lower conditioned space is in NO way a solution in solving this problem! I find it highly doubtful that this application passed any kind of local codes seeing that the laws a psychics cannot be change for convenience sake..... Failure to plan and obvious oversight due to additional cost is no excuse for hoping the problem will go away........I guess it's better to address the problem now before damage to the stricter is done!

my, .02
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    edited February 2016
    Options
    From a G.C. that I tried working with at the owners request, "It's just heat, I don't get why everyone is so upset..." It's your money. Put your foot down and tell them you want to see more before you spend more.

I am positive that the code requires the equipment to be in a "conditioned" space. Simply wrapping traps and drains with heat tape doesn't constitute a conditioned space. It has to be insulated, and have controlled heat (electric).

ME
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
    Gordy
  • GW
    Options
    Now this is an Attic HVAC job! 16' long, 8 feet wide, about 6'6" tall
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    Options
    LOL! the second picture with all that spray foam makes it look like you are entering a cave. :)
    GW