Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Updating from old Trol-A-Temp Mastertrol Mark II system to TrueZone with WiFi

Hi All,

I'm not a regular member here but found this site by searching on various ideas for how to update my system.

The house is in Florida and one part of the house (2 stories) is set up with a Trol-A-Temp system with three zone (2 upstairs and 1 down). Being in Florida, its mainly used for A/C. The air handler is a Trane TEM4A0C425S41SA unit (it has 7 KW back up heat).

Since my existing stats are old units with a master sliding bar unit and two round mercury units, I wanted to update to WIFI enabled stats (this is a second home that I want to be able to control remotely). It turns out that my system can't handle the new stats. I was told by Honeywell that I need to update it. I've asked my HVAC guy three times now for a quote and he isn't responding. So I'm wondering if what I want is either highly complex or perhaps not doable. So I appreciate some thought from forum experts on this.

Here is what I am thinking is needed but would appreciate thoughts on design and models:
Replace my Mastertrol Mark II unit with a Honeywell Truzone HZ322 unit
Install either 1 wireless adapter or 3 EIM's (seems to be dependent on what stats I end up using)
3 WIFI enabled stats or wireless stats that connect though the Honeywell WiFi gateway

I'm not able to find enough info as to which stats would work best with my system and how they should connect (wireless adapter or EIM) to the TrueZone panel. Also, I can't get enough info as to how normal wireless stats would connect into the WiFi gateway and whether I would need to purchase other equipment.

Appreciate any thoughts here on the design and whether this is something I should take on myself or at least know enough to direct a contractor appropriately.

Comments

• ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,615
    The TrueZONE panel can control the Trol-A-Temp dampers, but they've led a long life & maybe should be retired.

Any of the stats should work, if you have multi-stage equipment get the multi-stage stat. The 5000 series is the low end, non-programmable, then the 6000 series, then the 8000 series, & bestly the 9000 series. They all work with the Internet Gateway, but IIRC the 8K & 9K models require hardwired power (always a good idea). Shouldn't be a problem, the old wiring can be re-purposed for power.

If you pick your stats from these models, all you'll need is one THM4000 to connect them to the TrueZONE panel & the Internet Gateway to connect them to the internet. There may even be kits with stats included.

• khkiley
    khkiley Member Posts: 16
    Call EWC Controls, 800-446-3110 they will be able to help you find a modern upgrade for your panel. All their panels support modern thermostats. EWC engineered and manufactured the Trol-a-temp line and still supports all the products. It is a family owned company and their products are manufactured in NJ. They will be able to recommend an installer for you. Full disclosure, my dad was part of the engineering team that developed the Trol a temp line and worked for Ewc for almost 40 years. I still work with them regularly.
  • mchinnas
    mchinnas Member Posts: 2
    Thank you both for the input. Even though I am an engineer, I'm not sure this is something I want to take on myself (a little knowledge can be dangerous right?) but at least I have some good info on which to guide a contractor to meet my needs.