Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

How to Bleed a Boiler

reghi
reghi Member Posts: 17
I have a gas boiler with 2 zones, 2 circulator pumps and 2 relays. See attached diagram

When I bleed the system this is what I basically do. I turn all the shut-off valves off, except for line going out to the baseboards of the zone I am going to bleed, disengage the fill valve pressure regulator and then I open the drain petcock above the circulator pump and let it run for about a minute or two and then repeat for the second zone. However, when I do the above the tridicator gauge shows 0 psi pressure.

Is the way I am bleeding the system correct?

Comments

• unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    edited December 2015
    You most likely need to open one of the valves by the pump. I don't know where your fill valve is or your bleed drain. Can you show them on the drawing. Ok I see your drain I thought it was the gauge. What do you mean by disengage the fill valve? You need to open the fill valve when you bleed.
  • reghi
    I open the fill valve, however, the water is not coming in fast enough and I I lose pressure.

I am thinking that the fill valve is no good. I will call bell and gossett tomorrow and see if I can adjust the valve (its an FB-38)
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    Your better off just replacing it. replace the backflow while your at it.
  • reghi
    Called Bell and Gossett tech department and they told me that the fill valve might be clogged. I will check the strainer this weekend and hopefully this solves it. According to B&G it is very rare for the fill valve to fail.