Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

not the low bidder article

Options
I was looking for a very well written article which used to be somewhere on this site. It was describing why a contractor may not be the lowest bidder. One funny part about the article was how the low bidders truck would break down and couldn't afford cell phone so they could not call to tell customer they could not show up (or something like that). I believe it used to be in a contractors resources section, which I could not find either.
Thanks in advance for letting me know how to find this article again.
Pat

Comments

• DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,528
    Options
  • PM Home and Cabin Services
    Options
    Thank You! I need all the luck I can get, its rough out here.
    Robert O'Brien
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,528
    Options
    Explain value. Go get 'em.
    Retired and loving it.
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,541
    Options

Thank You! I need all the luck I can get, its rough out here.

You don't need any luck, it's all within your control.
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,693
    Options
    I appreciate all of the morsels of wisdom Dan has shed on the trade and my carrer. I think it may have been the Wall where I first heard of Frank Blau. When I went to see Frank Blau back in 2000, I didn't know if I should hide my face with shame or cling to my old ways which were stable but low pay.

I sincerely believe the word Bid or any variation of that word should be abaloshed ftom the ressential contracting world. When I hear that word I cringe, thankfully it's rare in my area. The word connotes low price, you hear the phrase " low bidder" about the same as hearing just the word "bid". Also, you may hear the phrase "awarded" when you use this terminology. I wish not to be awarded anything, it's not a prize or a dog treat A good customer appreciates the good tradesman. To me, "award" has a certain feel of heiarchy.

If you offer too many reasons why your price isn't the low price, I truly don't see how that can be helpful.

Have you ever gone into a project super lean, thinking there is no way anyone can possibly match your price? Then, to your horror, the home owner mentions he appreciated your efforts but went with someone else becasue of price? What does that mean? For many trades people it means lowering their prices even more. Guess what, homeowners fib here and there to gently cut you loose. It's easier to offer a white lie than to say " the more expensive guy was more professional than you were, I could afford twice what you quoted me, I have 10 times that amount in my checking account".

Lets be confident, have a good image, comb our gangly hair, use correct grammar, use proper ediquitte when greeting people, let's not be weird looking at people's stuff in their homes, and for Goodness sake leave the toilet the way you found, as clean as you found it.

When I increased my own outlook on my offerings my pricing went up with it. Now I make more and work less. It's the way it should be.

Gary
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
    jonny88Aaron_in_MaineSWEI