Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Pipe lifetime

Options
JuliaV
JuliaV Member Posts: 45
Hey all

What's the lifetime on steam piping? Cast iron. Just curious as to the shelf life on these things.

Comments

• ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,708
    Options
    Shelf life?
    Forever as long as it's a fairly dry environment.

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,326
    Options
    There are many steam systems in operation with cast iron pipe over 100 years old. There are water supply systems in some of our eastern cities with buried cast iron pipe which are older than that. They're working fine.

On the shelf? More or less dry? As Chris says -- forever, or at the very least a few millenia.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,062
    Options
    I have one church that has a cornerstone from 1911, original radiators and steam piping. A school from about 1919 or so. No problems with either. Maybe a threaded fitting might drip if pressure is run too high, but pipe itself fared well.

This is piping above the water line.......however wet returns and wet returns buried below the floor are not so lucky. Always questionable below grade.
    JuliaV
  • JuliaV
    Options
    Have a small slow leak on a threaded elbow fitting. Was just wondering if it meant anything less favorable for the rest of the piping! Guess I should be good : )
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    My piping is 113 years old. I had a gasket in a flange joint leak a couple years ago. When I replaced it, I was amazed at how clean and good the inside of those pipes look. I did have a small section of wet return leak about 10 years ago and had to replace that section.
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,708
    Options
    JuliaV said:

Have a small slow leak on a threaded elbow fitting. Was just wondering if it meant anything less favorable for the rest of the piping! Guess I should be good : )

Yeah, I'd consider that a rare fluke. Have it fixed and assume the rest of the system is fine.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,062
    Options
    Is that above or below the water line?
  • JuliaV
    Options
    Above. I can post a pic later when I get home