Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

closely spaced tees

Options
Midgetman
Midgetman Member Posts: 3
edited November 2015 in THE MAIN WALL
I just replaced my boiler. runs fine. I piped according to the books by Dan. I have two closely spaced tees in the system. ! 1/4 inch with a 4 inch nipple. That gives 6 1/4 inches on center. The water going in is plenty hot but cools down as it hits the closely spaced tee area. Two questions. Are the tees spaced too far apart or too close? Can I cut the nipple out and put in two plugs to make it a straight through system? I have a mixing valve to bring the water temp down and can reprogram the boiler to make 140 degree water. It is a radiant heat system. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as it is getting colder inside.

The second photo shows the close tees below the red circulator.

The boiler is in a tight area.so pictures are difficult. The path starts with the supply going through a tee with the temp gauge, another tee with a low water cut off ( disconnected, another problem for another day), 1 1/4 x 3/4 x 1 1/4 tee with a drain valve. It is on the right side of the photo. Valve into a Spriovent with expansion tank and water supply. From the Spriovent to a hot water filter ( from previous boiler that had a lot of sediment). Piping takes a 180 to the closely spaced tees. The first is the supply then the return manifold. It then drops down to the return in the boiler with a vent pictured on the left side. From the supply side manifold the water enters a mixing valve out to the circ pump and then to the radiant manifold. Water returning from the radiant return manifold goes mixes with the mixing valve and
into the main return manifold.
This system worked with the old boiler. I don't have the old parts to compare the distance between the close tees, but it couldn't be more or less than 1 inch different. I hope this helps.

Comments

• Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    Options
    A picture would be helpful. I've seen more than my share of near boiler piping that's suppose to be P/S because there were closely spaced tees involved, but it was anything but. If you followed Dan's book, that's a great start. Can you post a picture or two of what you have?
    Steve Minnich
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    Options
    Is there a pump in the system loop. Step back and take more pictures.