Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Steam guy needed Bergen County

Options
jbmoff
jbmoff Member Posts: 76
edited October 2015 in Strictly Steam
Can someone recommend a reliable steam person in northern NJ?!
Thanks.

Comments

• Shalom
    Shalom Member Posts: 165
    Options
    Same here, I'm just across the line in Passaic County.
  • SteamedInWharton
    SteamedInWharton Member Posts: 62
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Do we need to form a North Jersey Steam Home Owners Protective Association? We seem to be lacking experienced steam hands up here.

Gateway seems to limit their service area (Oranges+Newark? they won't come out to Western Morris or Bergen). I'm guessing they have enough work to justify staying close to home.

We seem to have lost one contractor and have one starting up and getting swamped.

Is the solution to start a consultant service to come in measure EDR, spec the boiler, examine the existing piping and then create plans for install? Plans so detailed that a hot water knucklehead can follow them. And then have local plumbers bid on the plans with required contract language stating black pipe must be used, the plans and mfgr. instructions must be followed, and the consultant must sign off before final payment?

I don't know if that business model would work. It would essentially take a experienced steam guy out of the business, but act as a "force multiplier" where he could spend time doing estimates and plans (and subcontracting?) and let the local "knuckleheads" do the actual work.
    Steaming along slowly in Wharton, Morris County, NJ.
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,737
    Options
    I would actually theorize some of this work could be done remotely with pictures. If the system is otherwise in good shape and it's just a boiler replacement. On site is obviously much better, but look at all the information and feedback we give on this site now. If your write up was specific enough it somewhat eliminates the vetting of the contractor. I don't care if you know steam can you hook the pipes up EXACTLY as detailed in this write up? I think Steamhead does this now, he will consult for customers and then have a local guy turn the wrenches due to licensing/permitting issues that exist in some areas.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • jbmoff
    Options
    It is amazing that there are not many EXPERIENCED heating guys in a state like this (NJ) where tons of homes are still heated with steam. When I lived in Essex County (Bloomfield), I had an emergency one night and called in a professional. There was simply no boiler turn-on....the first thing he did was go down to the cellar, popped off the cover of my pressuretrol on my good, old American Standard steam boiler and CRANK THE PRESSURETROL WAAAAAAAAYYYY Up. Finally, the old girl kicked on. Hey, what did I know?...26...owning my first home built in 1903 with only its 2nd steam boiler...the first gas unit after the original coal one was removed. After careful lurking about the internet in those days, I stumbled upon Dan's site...and I believe it was Steamhead who said, "Go clean out the pigtail and crank the pressure back down..." Took me 5 minutes. Took the "professional" 5 minutes and one of my bank account checks for $150. I immediately bought Dan's Lost Art book.
    Now, in Bergen County, sometimes you would simply like someone who is knowledgeable to come to your house and honestly know and suggest what your current system needs...and BE CORRECT ABOUT IT. The last "plumber" who installed my boiler a couple years ago before I bought the house over-sized the boiler and piped it for a parallel system. Meanwhile, mine is counterflow....God help us in this part of NJ!
  • KC_Jones
    Options
    You know what boggles my mind about what you described with the pressuretrol....in my opinion that has NOTHING to do with steam. If a "tech" walks down and readjusts something that has been working perfectly fine for 5,10,15 years that is just basic stupidity. There is something WRONG and if they aren't smart enough to realize that much they have chosen the wrong career. I honestly get really annoyed with people blaming a steam system for the problem when in some cases the real problem is basic lack of mechanical ability and problem solving. It's not the systems fault you have chosen to NOT educate yourself. I have literally spent THOUSANDS of hours of my own personal off time to learn the trade that I do, and that isn't counting school or work time. That is thousands of hours of my personal off time at home. I can't stand people who are unwilling to learn their trade. If your goal isn't to be the best at what you do, I have zero time or patience for you....nor will I ever pay you money to be dumb. Sorry for the rant I just get really frustrated with stupid sometimes.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
    jbmoff
  • jbmoff
    edited October 2015
    Options
    This is why homeowners like myself follow this site religiously. In between my Bloomfield house and my current home, I lived in a house with hot water heat. Some idiot removed the original boiler and put in a MUNCHKIN. The volume of water in the house (albeit it a 1200 sq ft home) was way too much for the munchkin because the house was originally gravity with its original gravity-sized 2 in. pipes. The house NEVER felt warm and the radiators were usually lukewarm. Luckily, I only rented that house.
    I am so glad my home has steam again...and I cringe when I see people in this part of the state ripping out these old systems because "they are too much work...or too loud...or the radiators are too big or unsightly," and they want their circa 1925 home to look like these new, modern state of the art Manhattan lofts with hot air heat / AC. One stipulation my wife and I both had was the house had to have steam heat...with cast iron radiators!
    RomanGK_26986764589
  • SteamedInWharton
    SteamedInWharton Member Posts: 62
    Options
    I
    jbmoff said:

This is why homeowners like myself follow this site religiously.

I only wish I had followed it sooner and not during my failure and installation period. I cracked a section early in my first heating season. The home inspector (July 2011) explained I had a mechanical LWCO that would need a periodic blowdown, but I didn't really understand how to do that.

Fast forward to November 2011, and we have a dry fire accident. I did not know how to work the blow down (hot steam coming out? scary!), did not know how to read the sight glass (it needed cleaning to see the level), and did not know how to add water (manual). Boy did I learn. of course the boiler I inherited was already piped in copper and fed the system risers from a tee.

The new installers used more copper, fed the tee from both supply headers and never skimmed it.

It's unfortunate how many homeowners are taken for a ride and end up having to pay twice: once for the "knucklehead" install and once for the correction (assuming a new boiler isn't needed).

Steaming along slowly in Wharton, Morris County, NJ.
    jbmoff
  • vr608
    vr608 Member Posts: 144
    Options
    jbmoff said:

This is why homeowners like myself follow this site religiously.

I happened to be one of the lucky ones that found this site BEFORE any serious trouble occurred during the dead of winter. When I got my house in Maplewood last year and found out it came with steam heat, I decided to find some literature on maintenance, and happened upon Dan's book ("We got steam heat!"). Was an eye opener for sure, and very useful when I later found out my boiler had a leak that necessitated an early replacement.

Regarding available (and capable) steam guys, I second the need for really good people up here (besides Gateway, who happen to be the next town over). It is so annoying to be told by plumbing contractors that "Copper is fine, I use it my house" and "Yeah, you don't need that extra (low pressure) gauge, its just going to cause leaks" whenever you make specific requests. I hate being second-guessed as a customer because someone doesn't have the integrity to admit they don't know something.

Peerless 63-03, 118,000 BTU (308 sqft), single-pipe steam system connected to 286 EDR of radiation, 30ft of baseboard and indirect DHW
    3PSI gauge
    jbmoff
  • JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,230
    Options
    You could always hire me to come to your house on a weekend and write up a report for you with instructions and diagrams detailing how best to get your system running at peak performance.
    I won't do the work but you could hand my report to any otherwise competent professional and know the thinking was done for that person. There are some things you could even try doing yourself.
    I have no idea why this part of the world has so few good steam techs. I'm getting a lot of calls from Westchester, too.
    It's strange. But, whatever. I'm making a few bucks here and there consulting.

www.72fLLC.com
    Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
    SWEIRobG
  • EzzyT
    EzzyT Member Posts: 1,295
    Options
    My company is located in Bergen county, we work all over the state of NJ. We'd be glad to take a look at your steam system and situations that your having.
    Private message me
    E-Travis Mechanical LLC
    Etravismechanical@gmail.com
    201-887-8856
  • dlebnikoff
    dlebnikoff Member Posts: 6
    Options
    I just moved my plumbing company from NYC to New Jersey (Bergen County). I have twenty years steam experience. I am listed on find a contractor. Jay Ell Plumbing and Heating 201-207-4090 or email don@jayellplumbing.com.
    JohnNY
  • jbmoff
    Options
    @dlebnikoff,
    Thank you. Right now I was lucky enough to be contacted by Ezzy T. He works in B County and is currently helping us out. He is a great, young guy who is very knowledgeable and willing to really help.
    I will keep you in mind, though.
    Thanks again.
  • jonny88
    jonny88 Member Posts: 1,139
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Good for you.I see a problem with a designer who a plumber has never worked for.First you the homeowner pay for design fee and will probably include drop header king valves and everything to make a steamer sing.Who is going to price the job?Plumber walks in and 9 out of ten times will say I dont need guidance.Here the battle begins.It is an eye opener to see how much a steam boiler properly installed all venting included costs.Plus the average installer will have you up and running in a day.Look at some of the work on this site and you will see what goes into it.
    All comes down to cost.As stated you can get great advice here from some of the best.
    HatterasguySWEI
  • realmiked
    realmiked Member Posts: 4
    Options
    Did anyone ever find a good steam guy? Need to do an oil to gas steam conversion.
  • KC_Jones
    edited April 2017
    Options
  • RomanGK_26986764589
    RomanGK_26986764589 Member Posts: 229
    Options
    I think I saw on one of the threads that @EzzyT started his own company.
  • j a_2
    j a_2 Member Posts: 1,801
    Options
    IDK, why would an installer need someone else's copied and pasted instructions? I can hear it now, one blaming the other for an issue....Your either capable or not capable...Steam certification, or whatever would turn into a good old boys circle...and I for one don't ever see it helping..If a straight forward single pipe steam boiler replacement is making you scratch your head, then your in way over your head...And if you install one knowing you have not a clue and take payment,then your as well a thief.....
    RomanGK_26986764589
  • JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,230
    Options
    j a said:

IDK, why would an installer need someone else's copied and pasted instructions? I can hear it now, one blaming the other for an issue....Your either capable or not capable...Steam certification, or whatever would turn into a good old boys circle...and I for one don't ever see it helping..If a straight forward single pipe steam boiler replacement is making you scratch your head, then your in way over your head...And if you install one knowing you have not a clue and take payment,then your as well a thief.....

To whom is this comment directed?
    Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 6,922
    Options
    Great steam guys CAN AND DO lay out a plan of corrective action for competent plumbers and pipefitters to follow on a regular basis. It's called CONSULTING. It would behoove the client to have a steam man of John's caliber out for a visit. Mad Dog
  • j a_2
    j a_2 Member Posts: 1,801
    Options
    JohnNY said:

j a said:

JohnNY said:

j a said:

It's not directed....at anyone....just my opinion