Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

New Weil-McLain steam boiler installation- "T" s on header angled 45 degrees to mains??

They are installing a new Weil-McLain 380 steam boiler. The T connections of the header are angled 45 degrees with a 45 degree fitting to the three mains. I would have expected 90 degrees (straight up) and an L over the the mains. What do you think?

Thanks.
One pipe steam, Weil-McLain 380 , pipes mostly insulated, 32 radiators!

Bock 32E water heater, Bock M-SR burner with .75 80A nozzle.

Comments

• STEAM DOCTOR
    STEAM DOCTOR Member Posts: 1,954
    Not a problem.
  • Dave0176
    Dave0176 Member Posts: 1,177
    That's probably the way the installers prefers to do it. It doesn't present any problems, at least it's black pipe and not copper!!!....
    DL Mechanical LLC Heating, Cooling and Plumbing 732-266-5386
    NJ Master HVACR Lic# 4630
    Specializing in Steam Heating, Serving the residents of New Jersey
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/dl-mechanical-llc

https://m.facebook.com/DL-Mechanical-LLC-315309995326627/?ref=content_filter

I cannot force people to spend money, I can only suggest how to spend it wisely.......
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Looks like nice work.
    Local1Plumber
  • JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,226
    Wait! Are those tools on top of the boiler!!!!????

Just kidding.

They're doing a great job. You're lucky to have them on board. Whoever they are.
    Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
    SWEIRobGLocal1Plumber
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,476
    My new boss (after 20 years with the old boss) used to walk into my office and scowl at my desk that was always about 6" deep in paperwork and parts; his desk was twice the size of mine and had a phone, a day planner and a pen on it. I used to tell him it was a complete waste of space.

He used to always try to trip me up bey asking for a copy of something I had given him a week ago, I would produce the document in about a minute and tell him to go away.

One day that was just a series of project blowups and he chose to come into the office and tell me he was unhappy with the way my desk looked. I threw him out of my office and told him not to come back, he could use the phone if he needed something from me. He stormed out but he knew I knew a lot more about making things work than he did and he knew the customers also knew that.

It took him a while but he finally realized I knew what I was doing and was very well organized in my own way. He also learned I placed the well being of the company above any regard for his authority. A person has to find a way of working that woks for him to get a job done so the customer is happy with the result. If that include placing tools on top of something so be it.

When that company shut down he was let go a month before me, I was the last technical person to leave the building.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • vaporvac
    vaporvac Member Posts: 1,520
    I'm just another HO, but my Slantfin Intrepid instruction manual gives that piping arrangement as optimal, so count yourself lucky.
    Two-pipe Trane vaporvacuum system; 1466 edr
    Twinned, staged Slantfin TR50s piped into 4" header with Riello G400 burners; 240K lead, 200K lag Btus. Controlled by Taco Relay and Honeywell RTH6580WF
  • RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    JohnNY said:

Wait! Are those tools on top of the boiler!!!!????

Just kidding.

They're doing a great job. You're lucky to have them on board. Whoever they are.

Why don't the manufacturers ship the units with the white plastic film that appliances come covered in? I guess there would be too many dumbasses who wouldn't take it off before firing the unit.
    SWEI
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Looking Good!
  • j a_2
    j a_2 Member Posts: 1,801
    Honestly I am not a fan of what I see...but that's just me....
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    j a said:

Honestly I am not a fan of what I see...but that's just me....

@j a What don't you like? Single riser out of boiler (it's a big riser)? Something else?