Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Hanging Hydronic fin tube baseboard

Options
KubwaJack
KubwaJack Member Posts: 1
I Started the Plumbing and Heating trade in 1964 in upstate NY. I received my Masters license in 1973. I now live in Mass. and hold an up to date Journeyman license. So, I have done a good bit of work in the 50 + years that I have been at it.
I was taught early on ,when installing the back panel for base board hydronic fin tube, like Slant Fin , Haydon etc., you always hang it 3/4" off the floor unless the room is to be carpeted and then it would hang 11/2" off the floor for proper circulation thru the fins.
I was recently told by a Carpenter that this is all wrong and ALL baseboard should touch the floor !

My Question to the community is , " am I all wrong after doing this with happy customers for over 50 years " ? Who is correct ?

Thank you for your help,
Jack
Rich_49

Comments

• Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,621
    Options
    You are correct.
    kcoppZman
  • Brewbeer
    Brewbeer Member Posts: 616
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I just installed Sterling baseboards throughout my house, and the instructions that came in the box with the baseboards show them being installed resting on the floor. I put mine about 3/4 inch above the finished floor so I could get the vacuum underneath them.
    Hydronics inspired homeowner with self-designed high efficiency low temperature baseboard system and professionally installed mod-con boiler with indirect DHW. My system design thread: http://forum.heatinghelp.com/discussion/154385
    System Photo: https://us.v-cdn.net/5021738/uploads/FileUpload/79/451e1f19a1e5b345e0951fbe1ff6ca.jpg
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,541
    Options
    Had to be installed higher in the 70's !! :)
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
    SWEI
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,526
    Options
    I miss those shag rugs. They were tough on the lawn mower, though.
    Retired and loving it.
    Robert O'Briennjtommy
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,541
    Options
    Pretty common cause of insufficient heat calls! :)
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • Rich_49
    Rich_49 Member Posts: 2,766
    Options
    You sir , are in fact correct
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    Langans Plumbing & Heating LLC
    732-751-1560
    Serving most of New Jersey, Eastern Pa .
    Consultation, Design & Installation anywhere
    Rich McGrath 732-581-3833
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,143
    Options
    The gap between the cover and the bottom of the actual assembly should be plenty to allow air flow.

I like 3/4 above the floor.

If you raise them up higher then you need to rip down the wood baseboard trim and install it below the BB, or you see unfinished wall and sheetrock.
    The sheetrock rarely goes to the floor as the installers use those foot lifters to squeeze it tight to the ceiling.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream