Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Relocating a Radiator: Easy As It Appears?

Options
Hi all,

I'm just your average Brooklyn apartment dweller who knows little to nothing about which I'm writing. From what I've learned here at HeatingHelp and on the internet at large, I believe I'm dealing with a single pipe steam heating system.

My bedroom is rather tiny and the radiator occupies perhaps the worst space possible. Its presence precludes a bed from fitting snugly into a nook in the bedroom and thus opening up the room for other furniture. I'd like to move the radiator along the wall to a new location to allow the bed to put in its place. (see photos).

This spring, after the building's boiler was shut down, I removed the radiator and put it in the closet for the summer, moved the bed, and was, well, happier.

My questions are:
1) If possible, what is involved in moving the radiator about 2 feet away from its current position? To the layman, it seems as easy as disconnecting, acquiring proper piping and fittings, attaching, and voila!
2) If it's not possible to relocate the radiator, would it be possible / safe to keep the valve closed and leave the radiator disconnected for the winter? Is the valve strong enough / designed to keep the system operating nominally? I'm assuming so, but that's a big assumption.

Looking forward to learning.

-K

Comments

• ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,706
    edited October 2015
    Options
    As far as can you simply connect some piping across the room to move it, probably, as long as your new piping had enough pitch to keep water draining back to the valve. Just a guess going by the pictures but you'll probably need to raise the radiator about an inch or so higher higher than it is now to ensure that pitch.

But, do you really want that piping going across the room and how do the owners of the building feel about this?

The valve is more than strong enough to hold the steam back if it works, and that's a big if. Furthermore I'd be concerned about someone opening the valve for whatever reason. I'd never leave one disconnected in my home, at least not for long. I suppose if you could remove the fitting from the radiator and then plug or cap that and connect it to the valve it would be fine.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Globalksp
    Globalksp Member Posts: 31
    Options
    ChrisJ said:

But, do you really want that piping going across the room and how do the owners of the building feel about this?

The pipe would be under the bed and first wrapped in insulation as to not cause issues, melt anything that comes into contact.

As for the owners of the building... I'm doing my research now, before proposing all this. The owner of the building is a management firm and I fear they will nix anything like this out of hand if only to avoid the extra work on their end.
    ChrisJ said:

The valve is more than strong enough to hold the steam back if it works, and that's a big if. Furthermore I'd be concerned about someone opening the valve for whatever reason. I'd never leave one disconnected in my home, at least not for long. I suppose if you could remove the fitting from the radiator and then plug or cap that and connect it to the valve it would be fine.

This is what I was hoping to hear as I'm sure the building won't let me move the thing.

When you say remove the fitting from the radiator... to which fitting are you referring?

Thanks,
    K

• RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    Options
    You seem to be quite a bibliophile. :) It should be simple with a few fittings and some iron pipe. As Chris said above you will probably need to elevate the rad bit to ensure you have good pitch back to the main.
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,706
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Globalksp said:

ChrisJ said:

The pipe would be under the bed and first wrapped in insulation as to not cause issues, melt anything that comes into contact.

As for the owners of the building... I'm doing my research now, before proposing all this. The owner of the building is a management firm and I fear they will nix anything like this out of hand if only to avoid the extra work on their end.
    ChrisJ said:

This is what I was hoping to hear as I'm sure the building won't let me move the thing.

When you say remove the fitting from the radiator... to which fitting are you referring?

Thanks,
    K

Whichever fitting you can remove easiest, all you need to do is end up with an NPT fitting you can screw a plug, or cap into or onto to seal it. The valve has a machined surface which must mate with the connector that came with it. This is what the nut is on. So either one of those elbows, or the nipple in between them, or even the brass mating connector from the radiator would work. One of them will come apart I'm sure.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Globalksp
    Options
    RobG said:

You seem to be quite a bibliophile. :) It should be simple with a few fittings and some iron pipe. As Chris said above you will probably need to elevate the rad bit to ensure you have good pitch back to the main.

Indeed! It's my escape from the realities of life in NYC. Thanks for the info!

-K
    RobG
  • Globalksp
    Options
    ChrisJ said:

Globalksp said:

ChrisJ said:

ChrisJ said:

Thanks,
    K

Whichever fitting you can remove easiest, all you need to do is end up with an NPT fitting you can screw a plug, or cap into or onto to seal it. The valve has a machined surface which must mate with the connector that came with it. This is what the nut is on. So either one of those elbows, or the nipple in between them, or even the brass mating connector from the radiator would work. One of them will come apart I'm sure.
    Great, will hopefully be able to look into it sometime this week.
    -K
  • j a_2
    j a_2 Member Posts: 1,801
    Options
    Not sure what floor your on. Word of caution,from a city guy...be careful whatever you do in there because it could affect others,meaning when you disconnect it,the pipe may be supporting other pipes....what you can't see under the floor is a potential issue..Sure if it was your own house, go for it...but if not,even with permission, you end being liable for anything....leaks,mold,ect. ect. the simple ones are the ones that get you....I say don't touch it...