Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Tim or anybody

Options
unclejohn
unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
Know if you can go through a chimney, not up the chimney with PVC pipe for a high eff. boiler. Got a row house in DC with very limited option for the flue. Right through the chimneys exterior wall would work and I can't think why that would not be ok but someone I'm sure will tell me.

Comments

• SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Options
    Is there anything else venting through the chimney?
  • gennady
    gennady Member Posts: 839
    Options
    There are CPVC chimney venting kits from duravent and centrotherm. They must be approved by boiler manufacturer and installed according boiler manuals and local codes.
  • unclejohn
    Options
    The chimney will be abandon. Just plan on going through the existing crock and straight out the outside wall. Gennady : the chimney is at least 40' tall, I don't get that high anymore.
    Ironman
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    To be clear, you are thinking of coring horizontally through the chimney to the outside?
    Will the hole weaken the chimney?
    Will other appliances gasses be allowed to leak out?
    Will anything damage the new flue?
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    @unclejohn
    Are you in or near N. VA?
    I still get calls for work up there. If you're interested in an occasional referral, let me know and give me your info.

If the chimney is gonna be abandoned and you don't weaken it, you should be good to go. But in DC, any crazy thing can happen. We once had an inspector tell us that we couldn't re-use the conductors in a branch circuit for a new RTU because they were too large! You may want to ask the inspector first. You should cap off any openings, top and bottom.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • unclejohn
    Options
    Zman. This is the plan. Remove existing boiler and water heater metal flue from chimney. Go straight out through the 6" crock to the out side. I'm thinking of pulling my air for combustion from the chimney. In other words two pvc pipes go in the chimney one runs straight through and the other stays inside so no recirc. of flue gas. I could how ever run both pipes to the outside. At that point nothing is inside chimney except air in pipe.

Ironman;
    I have a real small area I work in. Only serve NW. DC. and parts of Montgomery county. No going over the bridge for me anymore.