Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Not giving up the torch,

Options
Tinman
Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
but I am adding press fittings to the arsenal. The boiler rooms seem to be getting smaller and smaller and I can't contort my body as well as I use to. I may also be slowing down a little but I'm not ready to concede that just yet.

What I'm 99% certain of is that I can cut down hours on each job by making the switch.

I also know that the learning curve for guys I bring along is going to be a lot flatter with press fittings.

My biggest concern at this point is straight, plumb, level, square pipe. If I have the pipe locked down with strut clamps before pressing, my concerns are gone?
Steve Minnich
Bob Bona_4

Comments

• Rich_49
    Rich_49 Member Posts: 2,766
    Options
    Making it straight , plumb and supporting , strapping , clamping prior certainly works .
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    Langans Plumbing & Heating LLC
    732-751-1560
    Serving most of New Jersey, Eastern Pa .
    Consultation, Design & Installation anywhere
    Rich McGrath 732-581-3833
    Bob Bona_4
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,432
    Options
    Its just the time factor... more work less time... less workers...or in my case , just me.
  • M_Smith
    M_Smith Member Posts: 6
    Options
    There's a learning curve, you'll find it helps to dry fit some sections then press. It seems super fast, but sometimes it pays to hold back a bit. You may have to press a joint or two then assemble and press the rest. The curve is remembering the tool won't fit every where and not zooming into a joint you can't get on! You'll throw a few away, then you'll get to the day when you laugh because the torch hasn't come off the truck in months.
    Robert O'BrienBob Bona_4TinmanAaron_in_Maine
  • Bob Bona_4
    Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
    Options
    I took my B tank off my truck about 8 years ago, still have an MC tank on board just in case. I only need a Mapp with the auto lighter for most work. Times sure have changed!
  • Empire_2
    Empire_2 Member Posts: 2,343
    Options
    Thank God for the MC tank............Now if I can only lighten up the tool pouch. Keeps getting heaver because I load more stuff inside so I don't have to go out to the truck.

Peace;
    Mike T.
    Bob Bona_4
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,700
    Options
    Bob Bona said:

I took my B tank off my truck about 8 years ago, still have an MC tank on board just in case. I only need a Mapp with the auto lighter for most work. Times sure have changed!

What do you braze with Bob?
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • jonny88
    jonny88 Member Posts: 1,139
    Options
    Times have changed and it is an ever evolving trade.I am still soldering.If I had a lot of boilers to get to there would be no hesitation switching to PP.Right now its a little on the pricey side and fittings are a pain in the **** to hunt down.No doubt it is the way of the future though.HARD to give up the torch.
    Tinman
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Bob Bona said:

I took my B tank off my truck about 8 years ago, still have an MC tank on board just in case. I only need a Mapp with the auto lighter for most work.

Oddly enough, I recently decided I needed an upgrade for the old handheld MAPP torch -- mostly so I can pass a few tests and be ready to handle some of the refrigeration stuff that is looming in our future. A week of intense research taught me some amazing things -- most of which seems nearly unknown in our industry.

First off, MAPP gas has not been produced since 2008. Map-Pro is actually Propylene. Acetylene is still a superior fuel for welding, but propylene actually turns out to be a better choice for cutting and heating operations. It also brings HUGE benefits in both cost and logistics.

Some interesting tidbits: Each of those little yellow 14.1 oz disposable Map-Pro cylinders holds 52% more usable product than an MC tank does. Gas Innovations, the company who currently supplies most of the propylene used in the US (including two rail cars a month to Worthington, who fills all those yellow cylinders) is rolling out a B-tank replacement program that has some truly compelling characteristics.
    ChrisJEmpire_2
  • ChrisJ
    Options
    SWEI said:

Bob Bona said:

I took my B tank off my truck about 8 years ago, still have an MC tank on board just in case. I only need a Mapp with the auto lighter for most work.

Oddly enough, I recently decided I needed an upgrade for the old handheld MAPP torch -- mostly so I can pass a few tests and be ready to handle some of the refrigeration stuff that is looming in our future. A week of intense research taught me some amazing things -- most of which seems nearly unknown in our industry.

First off, MAPP gas has not been produced since 2008. Map-Pro is actually Propylene. Acetylene is still a superior fuel for welding, but propylene actually turns out to be a better choice for cutting and heating operations. It also brings HUGE benefits in both cost and logistics.

Some interesting tidbits: Each of those little yellow 14.1 oz disposable Map-Pro cylinders holds 52% more usable product than an MC tank does. Gas Innovations, the company who currently supplies most of the propylene used in the US (including two rail cars a month to Worthington, who fills all those yellow cylinders) is rolling out a B-tank replacement program that has some truly compelling characteristics.
    The problem I have is my acetylene swirl tip turbo torch is a whole lot hotter than the "MAPP" torch I have which is the Bernzomatic with the hose and autolighter. I think it was a cheesy $60 torch.

Do they make similar torches for use with the yellow tanks?
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • SWEI
    Options
    Turbotorch, Goss, Harris, and Gentec all have multiple options. You can replace piece by piece to support CGA-600 (disposable cylinders) and/or CGA-510 (aka POL) for bulk cylinders.

The quickest way to start is probably something like this. Tips are going to behave a bit differently. The primary flame is not as focused, but the coupling distance is greater and it wraps around the work better.
  • ChrisJ
    Options
    SWEI said:

Turbotorch, Goss, Harris, and Gentec all have multiple options. You can replace piece by piece to support CGA-600 (disposable cylinders) and/or CGA-510 (aka POL) for bulk cylinders.

The quickest way to start is probably something like this. Tips are going to behave a bit differently. The primary flame is not as focused, but the coupling distance is greater and it wraps around the work better.

I would need something to replace my B tank not an MC tank.

Flame not being focused is also bad, that's one of the things I like most about my turbotorch, a tight small hot flame. I had considered going oxy-actelyne but the swirl tips got me around having to deal with the oxygen tank and regulator.
  • SWEI
    Options
    Who made your torch?
  • ChrisJ
    Options
    SWEI said:

Who made your torch?

Almost positive this was the kit I bought plus an extra trip and accessories.

http://www.supplyhouse.com/Turbo-Torch-0386-0336-X-4B-Air-Acetylene-Torch-Kit

• SWEI
    Options
    Turbotorch probably has the largest set of options at this point. Check out the middle portion of this.
  • Bob Bona_4
    Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Chris, I use the MC for brazing, either with the Turbotorch or Surelite. The Mapp (sorry SWEI, generic term :)) struggles to braze with. Was doing some DX geothermal work with another guy a few years ago, he had this nifty small oxy/acetylene kit. I forgot the maker.
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    Options
    I use oxy - act. for A/C work and hand held yellow torch [map]for boilers and water work.