Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Watts boiler fill valve - not working?

Options
28W
28W Member Posts: 141
Hello all. I have a 3-year-old Viessman hydronic heating system in my home. It has a Watts fill valve. Does this type of valve automatically maintain system pressure, or is it normal to have to flip the lever and raise the pressure occasionally (like once per year)?

Comments

• Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,625
    Options
    What is the pressure reading on the gauge? Does it stay the same or is it dropping?
  • 28W
    Options
    It had dropped to 4 PSI over the course of a year without an adjustment. Now that I've raised the pressure, it is holding steady at 13 PSI
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    Options
    It should maintain pressure (if adjusted properly). The lever you mention, is not for adjusting pressure. It is the fast-fill feature. It is for purging air from the system. It bypasses the regulator, and will allow city water pressure.The lever assembly just unscrews....notice the flats at its base. Underneath that, is the regulator adjustment. There is a screw and lock-nut underneath. Bleed some pressure off the system at a radiator. Then check the pressure.If you want to raise the pressure ,at that point, loosen the lock-nut and and turn the screw clock-wise. Monitor it for a while.
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    It is not uncommon for that model to just get stuck. Sometimes just cycling the fast fill lever resolves the problem. I would keep an eye on it.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • 28W
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions. So far, cycling the the fast-fill lever (now that I know what it is!) seems to have done the job.