Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

50° mornings and a boiler replacement surge this week in NYC and NJ.

Options
JohnNY
JohnNY Member Posts: 3,231
Why, oh, why does everyone wait until the last minute?!?!
Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
Consulting & Troubleshooting
Heating in NYC or NJ.
Classes
MarkSRobGSWEI

Comments

• Dave0176
    Dave0176 Member Posts: 1,177
    Options
    I had a customer wait till January 5th when it dropped into the teens last year to call me knowing he needed a replacement last March.... Smh!!
    DL Mechanical LLC Heating, Cooling and Plumbing 732-266-5386
    NJ Master HVACR Lic# 4630
    Specializing in Steam Heating, Serving the residents of New Jersey
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/dl-mechanical-llc

https://m.facebook.com/DL-Mechanical-LLC-315309995326627/?ref=content_filter

I cannot force people to spend money, I can only suggest how to spend it wisely.......
  • Bob Bona_4
    Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
    Options
    Yup, ppl had their heat on yesterday when I was making the rounds. I'm still in Tshirts and cargo shorts.
  • RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    Options
    Great work John. Do you do the design and send your guys out to do the install or are they good enough to do both the design and the install?
  • JohnNY
    Options
    A lot of these are cookie-cutter, repetitive installs that my two best boiler crews handle on their own. I sell most of the jobs so if I have a preference or if there's something that needs to be addressed I just let them know.
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
    RobGSWEI
  • RobG
    Options
    JohnNY said:

A lot of these are cookie-cutter, repetitive installs that my two best boiler crews handle on their own. I sell most of the jobs so if I have a preference or if there's something that needs to be addressed I just let them know.

Do you have any younger guys running your best crews or is it older guys who will be retiring soon?
  • JohnNY
    Options
    At 46, I'm the old guy here. My top boiler guys are 38 and 36.
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
    SWEIRobG
  • RobG
    Options
    JohnNY said:

At their ages and the way the country is going you should be able to get another 30 years out of both of them.
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,707
    Options
    Never like it when guys sit fittings and tools all over the top of a new boiler.

A piece of cardboard goes a long way.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Dave0176
    Options
    JohnNY said:

Were getting younger, I'm 39, my helper is 37, and I'm in the process of trying to train my 19 yo brother, who seems very interested. Although lately my pop at 63 has been doing a lot of work with me.

I cannot force people to spend money, I can only suggest how to spend it wisely.......
  • Dave0176
    Options
    ChrisJ said:

Never like it when guys sit fittings and tools all over the top of a new boiler.

A piece of cardboard goes a long way.

Chris I'm guilty of doing that too...........

• jonny88
    jonny88 Member Posts: 1,139
    Options
    Sorry Chris I am guilty to but you are correct
    ChrisJ
  • JohnNY
    Options
    Yeah. Sometimes that just happens. I guess after you do a few hundred of these things, you get to learn how to place things gently without leaving marks. Maybe I'll go get another picture of the finished product and we'll see how we did.
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
    Bob Bona_4ChrisJ
  • Snowmelt
    Snowmelt Member Posts: 1,415
    Options
    whats up with the water heater
  • ChrisJ
    Options
    Water heater looks like temporary hookup
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • jonny88
    jonny88 Member Posts: 1,139
    Options
    Common practice snowmelt to install temp hot water on a job that will take more than a day.First complaint is always the water.
    SWEIj a_2
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,062
    Options
    If I'm working any of the trades in a house for more that a day, I will cover the washer, dryer, chest freezer or whatever with heavy drop cloth or cardboard. If I'm there long enough something will be placed on top of that "handy workbench" and this way it and I am covered. This also is good PR towards HO. At the end of each day everything is uncovered that HO may want that evening.
    ChrisJCanucker
  • ChrisJ
    Options
    JohnNY said:

Yeah. Sometimes that just happens. I guess after you do a few hundred of these things, you get to learn how to place things gently without leaving marks. Maybe I'll go get another picture of the finished product and we'll see how we did.

What the boiler looks like afterwards, is of course what is important.

However, my statement is also about what the customer thinks if he sees it. I know I wouldn't be happy.

I'll admit, some friends call me "The Anal Retentive Chef".

• Harvey Ramer
    Harvey Ramer Member Posts: 2,239
    Options
    Chris,
    I am guilty of the same thing. I'm glad you mentioned it though. I will start throwing a piece of cardboard or drop cloth on the boiler before I set tools or fittings on it.
  • ChrisJ
    Options

Chris,

I am guilty of the same thing. I'm glad you mentioned it though. I will start throwing a piece of cardboard or drop cloth on the boiler before I set tools or fittings on it.

Harvey,

Be 100% honest, am I wrong about what a customer would think?

Maybe I'm wrong in this regard, like I said, I know I'm overly anal about a lot of things, i get that.
  • JUGHNE
    Options
    Lady/Customer notices this. Especially their appliances.

It all goes by the point system that all husbands eventually learn: For instance you get maybe 3 points for painting "her" entire house....but you lose 10 points because you stepped on one of her flowers that surround the house.

You never "lose" points by trying to protect something, you may not gain any, but just showing concern registers with some people. It is like carefully wiping your shoes on the door mat even though you know that they are absolutely already clean. IMHO

CanuckerChrisJ
  • njtommy
    njtommy Member Posts: 1,105
    Options
    You mean you guys don't where nice white collared shirts and put tarps down every where and wear booties over your work boots?
    j a_2
  • Dave0176
    Options
    ChrisJ said:

Chris,

Harvey,

Be 100% honest, am I wrong about what a customer would think?

Maybe I'm wrong in this regard, like I said, I know I'm overly anal about a lot of things, i get that.
    No Chris your right, it makes us look like slobs.....

• JUGHNE
    Options
    Here in the "outback", the red neck tee/sweat shirt, bib overalls, and just clean boots will cut it. But if boots are muddy they stay at the door and I go in stocking feet.
  • Aaron_in_Maine
    Aaron_in_Maine Member Posts: 315
    Options
    I carry a six foot folding table in my install trailer for placing my stuff on. But if space is limited a piece of cardboard on the boiler will due.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

KC_JonesChrisJ