Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Please Help! Car Wash Heat (In-Floor Leak)

Options
Hello! We've got a car wash built in the 80's that has a leak in the in-floor heat we couldn't find through traditional methods. Winter is approaching and we live in WI where we typically see negative temperatures in January. My husband is a plumber who is overwhelmed with work and my attendant just told me that he's not sure he can even get the in-floor heat to run. He babysat it last winter and says stop leak doesn't work - it just gums things up. I know he was using gallons of anti-freeze daily to keep it running. With the weather starting to turn cold we need to figure something out. My husband says it would be cost prohibitive to hire a company to tear up the concrete and replace the in floor heat. I suggested putting a new system right over the old and pouring concrete over that but he mentioned separation. He talked about shutting the wash down for the winter but that means no income and paying the mortgage ourselves not to mention that probably wouldn't be too good for business. Any alternative heating ideas or thoughts about fixing the In floor heat would be very much appreciated as we're going to be in trouble here shortly!

Comments

• Henry
    Henry Member Posts: 998
    Options
    Yoou can have the floor infrared scanned to find the leak and repair it.
    Zman
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Options
    Is this an Entran system by any chance?
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,432
    Options
    can you isolate the individual loops?
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,157
    Options
    Many of those old systems use polypropylene pipe like well piping. If it has hose clamps at the manifold, it pp

The infrared camera is a great method to find the leak.

Any cracking and shifting in the slab?
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream